Friday, May 1, 2020

"What A Gal ... What A Pen Pal"


Here’s another great one from Owyn “Preacher” Bradford! It's in response to my last blogpost. I hope you all enjoy …




Shipmates, this plain ain't no shit. When I was in high school I sent a fan letter to an actress that I was wild about. She sent me a signed pic and a letter, I wrote back, and we got a correspondence goin' on. I got to meet her after graduation at a theater she was performing live at. When I joined the Navy I didn't write her till I was in Memphis in "A" school and we kept it goin'. Well, eventually I got to my squadron and we finally embarked on the Rosie Maru for the WestPac deployment. We were two days away from pullin' out when they had mail call. One of the guys got a big box of goodies and of course everyone was anxious to see what everyone else got. What'd I get?

A catalog, letter from my mom, one from my sis, ad, ad...and a letter in a Holiday Inn envelope from Pompano Beach in very familiar handwriting.

Saved it for last. My bud Roger said …

"Whatcha got there, Owyn?"

I smiled. Got out my knife and opened it very carefully cause I knew I was gonna want to save it. 4X5 publicity pic with the famous widelipped smile, inscribed …

"Come home soon and safe, little warrior. Affectionately, Jayne."

Yep, Jayne Mansfield. Real nice letter thankin' me for the birthday card I'd sent and wishing me well for the Vietnam deployment. As my shippy Roger said … "Holy shit, what a sendoff YOU got!"

… LOL …


3 comments: