Tuesday, November 21, 2017

'Nasty City'

How many times do you remember being downtown after the Trolley stopped and sharing a cab while splitting the fare with a shipmate you didn’t even know? You had one commonality!! You were both Crackerjacks heading to 32nd Street… you were brothers!! That’s how it was on many occasions, but not on this particularly hair raising night of raising hell at the local McDini’s Baha in Nasty City!!!
 
As a young man and a Crackerjack to boot, I was less than immune to the games of stupidity! Yes, I was steeped, boiled and drowned in young stupidity for a number of years!! That’s how I managed to amass such a piling heap of sea stories over my twenty-three years of ocean crossing and tom-foolery!!! 
 
On this particular night I was hell-bent for flesh and fermentation! More than not, most nights I ended up plenty fermented with the only sure signs of flesh being Rosie Palm and her five sisters!! Playing skins has always been a game of Russian Roulette … you usually end up with an empty chamber and when you don’t, it could be loaded with a plethora of ‘VD’ … Forrest Gump’s box of chocolates!!!
 
I’d spent much of the night throwing quarters into the juke box, shooting pool on tattered tables while drinking lukewarm beer from around the world! I was hoping to find a woman to fondle but found nothing I’d want to stick for fear of scarring my brain for life!! It can get pretty nasty in “Nasty City!!!”
 
The time flew and soon it was well after bar thirty as I found myself walking back towards base all alone! So I headed to the trolley on 8th Street but must’ve been just a bit too late to catch the last train to nowhere!! My next course of action was to stumble northbound on Harbor View until I made the three or four mile hike to the 32nd Street Main Gate!!!
That’s when it all came about … some nameless, faceless sailor just happened along and offered me a ride! I just figured him for another good-natured shipmate unselfishly giving for the sake of another shipmate in need!! After all, we were brothers in a sense … and it was a chilly night for San Diego!!!
 
He stopped, asking if I needed a ride! That sure beat the hell out of the never ending job of walking back on a dark ass night in the autumn chill biding time for that hot cup of coffee on the mess decks once I got back aboard!! It was one of those nights that made your toes numb trying to keep the feet warm in that miserable weather which was uncommonly wet that night!!!
 
Just as we were approaching 32nd Street and he stopped to let me out …
 
“Could I entice you with a little head for twenty or thirty dollars? Or maybe some anal in the backseat for fifty?” 
 
Imagine that, another shipmate wanting to jerk my lanyard for an extra few Dineros?!? I’m not even sure if he was offering his services or asking for mine … at this point it didn’t matter …
 
“Sorry shipmate, but having sex with another man would be like poking a raw oyster through a crazy straw … it just ain’t gonna work for me!”
 
It was enough to make me as uncomfortable as a twisted testicle… I think I’d rather play leapfrog with a unicorn! This sexual promiscuity on the Left Coast was just getting out of hand!! In just a few short months I’d unknowingly made out with a Tranny, was approached by a male hooker or a John … not sure which role he was playing, and had seen things in Tijuana a young man just isn’t supposed to see!!! 
 
I wasn’t about to go bragging about my excursions to my cohorts onboard the Baglady! I realized long ago when it came to 'games of chance' it was simpler to keep my mouth shut than tell these types of ‘no shitters’ to shipmates back on the ship!!  It saved a hell of a lot of time and embarrassment as they’d have made me the communal urinal of homo jokes and eaten my soul alive!!!
 
Aaaah the memories… always recalling the little things! They formed the composite of an old salty son-of-a-bitch reliving years when he was better put together and thought he could conquer the world!! That’s the connection we all have as shipmates!! We’ve all got’em … different, but Same, Same … just like the little ‘LBFMs’ down and out in the south seas of the PI!!!




8 comments:

  1. You speak from the heart Tony, (Scarface) yeah that's how I remember it

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn booter try it from downtown before the Trolley ran. last bus was at 2:05 miss it and its off to the 1 dollar movies for a few hours sleep till the first bus at 5:15.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about the Trophy Lounge just down the street?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WestPac widow central, But before the TL there was Antonio's (78-82) same shit across the street. 🤣🤣🤣

      Delete
  4. anybody remember the Westerner or "Hog n' Dog" right outside the south gate ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that was it. I would have to ask if they were going on the base and if the answer was no, so was mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The trolley from 8th to 32nd?
    To heck with that! Rule #1 was, if you gotta walk between those two stations, walk inside the fence! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember night while attending a SNAPII Coordinator course there was a bar with some LBFM. Went in to get a beer before heading out to the TL. Sat down & some honey ko ask if I had a gf there & if I would buy her a ladies drink. I got up walked to the door looked to make sure I was still in San Diego sat back down. Girl gave me the WTF look & asked what that was about. I said I just had to make sure I was back in the state. Woooo! She was pist off. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete