Sunday, July 30, 2023

"Another Spark of Memories"

 


An old shipmate regaled me with this story that was not only entertaining but reminded me of how I got my current job in good ol’ civilian land.  Apparently, this fellow was a radioman back in the 1960s’ on the USS Mansfield.  Shortly after arriving onboard, the new Operations Officer wanted a tour of the radio shack. So shortly after morning Quarters, the RMC and the new Ops Boss rang the shacks buzzer to let them in. 

It didn’t take a minute for the Ops Boss to recognize a Union Pacific Railroad calendar up on the bulkhead …

“Who worked for the Union Pacific Railroad?”

… He asked …

“My father, Sir.”

“Where?”

“Marysville, Kansas, Sir.”

… The new Ops Boss replies …

“Marysville! What's his name?”

“B.E. Jaynes.”

… He exclaimed …

“Trainmaster Bart Jaynes, hell yes I know him, he fired me!”

Turns out he had wrecked a UP vehicle and our illustrious shipmate’s dad fired him for it. He said the Ops Boss never held that against him. When he got home he told the story to his Dad. He remembered who he was and got a big kick out of the tale.

His story reminded me of when I got interviewed for my current civilian job. As soon as I answered the phone …

“Is this retired Firecontrol Chief Dennis Swing?”

“Why yes it is.”

“Well, you might remember me as Firecontrol Second Class, Chad Graham. I’m about to be your boss.” 

And that’s when I remembered the old phrase…

“Be careful whose toes you step on, they might be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow.” 

And that my friends is a no-shitter! 

2 comments:

  1. Just went to Marysville and toured the old depot. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete