Wednesday, December 26, 2018

"Ships & Boats"




As a small child, I remember my father, a Navy officer, taking our family to the piers…

"Look at all the pretty boats, Daddy!"

… I exclaimed …

"Ships, Tara," he corrected me. "These are ships, not boats!"

Through the years, I'd tease my father with the same comment, and he'd always reply…

"Ships, Tara, ships!"

Eventually, I married a new ensign who faced a year of training before he was assigned to a fast-attack submarine. One day, when he strolled up our front walk with a grin, I knew he had received his first orders.

"So to what ship are you assigned?"

… I asked …

His smile turned quickly into a frown…

"Boat, Tara!" he said. "Submarines are boats!"


3 comments:

  1. Subs are boats!

    Merry Christmas, Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father a Senior Chief always said “Son, a boat can fit on a ship but a ship can’t fit on a boat.”. I told my kids that all the time also. They always hated it but they sure as hell remember it. LOL

    ReplyDelete