Saturday, October 22, 2022

“A Union Man”

 This one comes from a shipmate who went by the name of Moose Espenschied off of the De Haven from way back in the day. I hope you enjoy …

 


Everyone knows the kind of officers we had, some good, some bad.

Well, we went alongside the tender. The chief wanted to send some gauges over to be checked and calibrated.

I went on the beach and the gauges were sent over by the duty machinist mate. He sent half of the union with them.

Back came the gages several days later, with no union half.

The Assistant Engineering officer came down (Mr. White) and asked, "Espenschied, the captain wants to know if the forward engine room is ready to get underway?"

I answered, "No. The gages that were sent to the tender for calibration, came back without their half of the union. I sent a man over to get them and as soon as he returns in about 30 minutes, we will be ready to light off and get underway.

Mr. White stood there a few minutes and then asked, "Espenschied, what is a union?"

I could not help myself and said, "AFL-CIO you know."

With that, he went up the ladder and reported to the captain. Soon I had a call from the captain telling me in so many words to stop picking on Jr. officers.


Fin ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment