Friday, June 15, 2018

"My Cartoon Doppelganger"


I remember there were several choices in life after graduating high school. I could have worked for the old man, went to the local Community College, or just say the hell with it and join the military. I picked the latter of the three.  I can honestly say that my first six years of indentured servitude were very memorable as much as I thought I hated it! At the time I’d never realized those were some of the best times of my life! Here is a cartoon pic I found that reminded me of a picture I had from those days … I hated the picture as much as I hated being in the ol’ Canoe Club. Boy how times and minds have changed …




I believe we were doing a Pacfire Exercise with CIWS onboard the ol’ Chucky ‘V’ when this picture was taken. I’m surprised I had any brain cells left to even remember such things back in those days … if it weren’t for chasing skirts and drinking to the foam … that was the life of a young sailor in his prime!!!




2 comments:

  1. So true... I hated it with a passion when I was in. On my last day of servitude had everything packed and ready to load up the ole Fiero. Get up to the quarterdeck and saying goodbyes, I'm leaving for the last time. I was a plankowner so's I double checked with the Chief to make sure I was going to get bonged off. Chief says not in civilian cloths!! You gotta be shitting me!! So's I head back below deck to retrieve a pair of dungarees from the trash. Chief gives the green light. Last thing he said to me was you may hate it now but one day you're going to miss it... Yea right Chief. Bong Bong, plankowner departing.. Now all I want to do is build a time machine so I can go back 25 years and relive it!! Fucking Chief.

    ReplyDelete