Saturday, August 11, 2018

"Paint Requisition"


(Click To Enlarge)

Some things in the ol’ Canoe Club just don’t change over time! I remember in my Naval infancy only having to go down to the good old paint locker to get a can of haze gray and a handful of brushes. When I was a young snot nosed Crackerjack, we weren’t even required to turn the paint back in when we were done … we just tossed it over the side after the paint had done dried with a stiffened brush in the middle of the can! I’ll bet there’s a graveyard of old paint cans sitting below the harbor in San Diego Bay. Now, you’ve got to have your MSDS, a special chit from the Department Head with how much square footage you’re painting out, a special mix and if it’s nonskid, the Deck Apes have to do the painting for you at their convenience! If it’s paint on a missile deck, it has to be done by a contractor or some bubba from off shore … ain’t that something!?! At least that’s how it was before I retired.

Now I see an old clipping from back in the Fifties and Sixties it looks like the ol’ Canoe Club was messing with the paint locker years before I was a Crackerjack Sailor. I guess it eventually all came back full circle…  

1 comment:

  1. Forget the haze gray, how about that puke green primer you had to put on first? That stuff would turn to stone inside of an hour!

    ReplyDelete