Sunday, August 26, 2018

"They Can't Take Away My Birthday"




Because of a minor infraction, a sailor aboard the USS Reeves, bound for Japan, was busted one rank, fined, and given extra duty for three weeks. Looking forward to celebrating his 21st birthday on July 22, he consoled himself every night during his extra duty by reciting …

"They can bust me, they can fine me -- but they can't take away my birthday."

As July 22 approached, his excitement increased. When he went to bed on July 21, he happily repeated …

"They can bust me, they can fine me -- but they can't take away my birthday."

The next morning, he found out the ship had crossed the International Dateline -- it was now July 23!!!


6 comments:

  1. Happened to a sailor on USS Knox changing homeports from Pearl to Yoko in August 1977. I remember him saying “ Well they finally did it. They took away my birthday!”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. That's pretty funny. I remember earlier this year being over in Japan for duty. As luck would have it I was in Japan for my birthday. My middle son has a birthday that is one day before mine, but with the difference in time zones for several hours we actually shared our birthday at the same time.
    That was a pretty cool event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. one time we crossed and had no Jan 1st :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed the 4th of July in 1975.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THAT IS FUNNY.....THANKS

    FRANK R. BERGER

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed my 1st
    Wedding Anniversary

    ReplyDelete