Monday, August 22, 2016

'More Big Daddy Roth'



I always had an admiration for fine cartoon art! Bill Ward, Don Martin, Don Flowers, Vaughn Bode… just to name a few!

In High School I often wound up in detention for getting caught snapping bra straps or doodling dirty pictures on the desk tops! After joining the ol’ Canoe Club we were supposed to learn how to read complex schematic drawings of the internal organs of intricate death machines... But I was too busy drawing dirty wild orgies on the whiteboard!! Then one day some twinkle-toed radioman ended up with one of my sketched sexual master pieces I had doodled one fine midwatch while staring at Air Traffic some 50,000 feet above the Pacific and the rest was history as I suffered the military equivalent of Detention… EMI!!!

Those drawings were a pain in the hip pockets…

But Big Daddy Roth was one of those kind of artists that really played into a kid Crackerjack's heart… mixing Hot Rods with Monster Madness! What young sailor growing up in the Sixties, Seventies or Eighties didn’t like that kind of stuff?!?



1 comment:

  1. Had one of those in VP-1. When the MO over-boosted an engine on one of our P-2's, which required an engine change, he drew an awesome one of a mad pilot with a handful of throttles. I wish I had had the foresight to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete