Wednesday, November 30, 2016

'Blow The Man Down'



Like Popeye, Barnacle Bill and Captain Morgan himself… we grew up singing certain songs while rollicking and drinking our way to the liberty boats just being sailors!!!


As I was a-walkin’ down Paradise Street, To me!
Way, hey, blow the man down…

A pretty young damsel I chanced for to meet
Give me some time to blow the man down…

She was round in the corner and bluff in the bow…
So I took in all sail and cried “Way enough now”…

I threw out my hawser and took her in tow
And yardarm to yardarm away did we go…

She said to me “Sir, will you stand the treat?”
“Delighted,” says I, “for a charmer so sweet”

It was up in her quarters she piped me aboard
And there on her bed I cut loose with my sword…

But just as my cutter was forging ahead
She shouted “My husband!” and jumped out of bed…

He was seven feet tall, had a chest like a horse
And right for my jawbone he plotted his course…

He loosened my rigging, he kicked me in stays
I flew down the stairs like a ship on the way…

I chanced on a packet that happened on by
And when I awoke I was bound for Shanghai!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment