Sunday, February 24, 2019

"Crackerjack Etiquette"



For centuries the general population of this here Ol’ Canoe Club has contained a wide spectrum of boys and girls from all over the country. It’s been a cross-section of Middle America. In the middle of this seething caldron of raw, untamed feral beasts, we’ve got those who are exceptionally bright to those of the walking brain dead.

 Yes, you get the occasional screw-up, or last year’s senior class clown to “wait ‘til they get a loud of this shit” kind of lunatic and the whole gambit of “Shut the fuck up or I'll drop kick you in the brain-housing you weak pussy-ass-bitch” kind of Billy Bad Ass with language worse than a parrot in a whorehouse!

On the ship and in the shop you here shipmates saying …

“Hey, toss me that fucking wrench.”

… or …

“Can you all stop fucking swearing and arguing for one minute? We’ve been troubleshooting for three fucking straight days!”

That was our typical dialog amongst shipmates. We vented, we shit talked and it was all okay. It was how we expressed ourselves, amongst ourselves. It builds camaraderie.

Nobody ever accused Saltwater Navy Crackerjacks of having good manners. Hell, Eleanor Roosevelt once even said sailors have the cleanest bodies but the dirtiest mouths of all the services. There’s a reason they refer to it as “Cussing like a Sailor.” It’s reminiscent of that age old image of a flipped back white hat sailor with lucky strikes rolled up in his shirt sleeve and a zippo lighter imprinted through the pocket of his dungaree pants! I was up to my waist in smoking vulgarities, cuss words and spine warping language.

On my last ship we had a Sonarman named Bierly known for sleeping butt nekkit with his rack curtains open. He even had a sign he would hang on his rack …

“Fuck me but leave a tip!"

Believe me when I say, “I’m no angel!” I’ve been known to season my vernacular with a four-letter word here and there myself, but I’ve usually tried to be self-conscious of those around me … especially after the Thanksgiving dinner table incident my first time home from Bootcamp. 

Historically, sailors were tough hard-working, hard-drinking men who worked in an all-male environment, and didn’t need to worry about social etiquette or “offending the ladies” so to speak.  Sometimes while on liberty we stand out amongst polite society due to our unruly behavior and foul language.

It reminds me of riding the San Diego Trolley through downtown San Dog. You’ve got four stops to your destination and there’s always a group of young sailors that start every sentence with “Fucking” and end the same sentence with “and Shit!” It’s always in the presence of old grannies and families with little kids. You sit there listening to this crap and the only thing that comes to mind is why we get a bad name. It often made me wonder how many times these numbskulls repeated the third grade.

I actually remember once sitting on a bus across from some young Marines out of MCRD with full-fledged gorilla armpit perspiration having an out loud discussion about some young lady’s camel toe and speaking quite publicly about the details of your average females bust development… I mean really??? How would your grandmother feel sitting across from these fellas swearing like a whore in church?!?

“Fuck me man, it's hotter than two queer Wookies fucking in a fleece-insulated sleeping bag in the middle of Kenya!”

“Do you know who really gives a fuck? Hookers! Hookers give a fuck, but it’ll cost you!!!

“That chic over there has a fine ass but no tits!”

“It’s okay if she has no tits, I can still motorboat her butt cheeks!!!

To these Marines, the word ‘Inappropriate’ was as ambiguous as Matt Lauer’s sexuality! So as a Chief, I made a polite approach. I related to them as a fellow service member and posed the question …

“Listen here you ‘Devil Dogs,’ telling you not to cuss is a ridiculous notion. After all, you didn’t fight your way to the top of the food chain to become vegetarians. But as a Marine and a gentleman, it’s just not cool to be out in public screaming obscenities all the time. It’s called common courtesy. As Marines, this is your chance to adapt and overcome!”

To be honest, these were some stout healthy young boys who could had easily cold cocked me and rendered me horizontally inert! Maybe because they recognized me as a Navy Chief or just realized I was right, I don’t know. But they were respectful and took to what I said with a …

“Roger that Chief. We got you. We understand.”

In front of the boys, I could give two shits, but on the trolley, bus or Union Station in front of priests, moms, kiddos and grannies of all sorts it’s just not cool at all. In all those years I had many of these experiences. A young Sailor or Marine full of testosterone could say …

“Your hair is like corn silk under an August moon, your lips as rubies and her teeth, pearls!”

Instead he’s got to say …

“I'm so horny me cock could cut diamonds right now!”

One of the best comebacks I ever heard…

 “Are these your eyeballs? I found them in my cleavage.”

Later on came the gentler, kinder more civilized service with house broken Boy Scout types … no cussing, frowned on drinking, and no smoking except in super-secret designated spaces. No more skin book swaps, naughty calendars and raunchy joke marathons. It always amazes me how now sailors have to dance the “PC” fandango over preferences of words onboard ships with today’s crew yet no one seems to care how they talk out in the center of the universe.

I guess that’s just the way the new ships rock-n-roll…



1 comment: