Friday, December 6, 2019

"Trimming The Fat"



I recently read an article in the Navy Times “Units Should Tap Sports Trainers for Fitness Assist.”  Of course the first thing that came to my mind was, “No Shit Sherlock!”  Just how long have there been Sports Trainers and we finally came up with this idea? I will say that unlike the Army or the Marine Corp, the Navy doesn’t require its sailors to run ten miles on the battlefield with 50lbs of field gear on their back, but you still gotta be able to fit through a scuttle and not look like 300lbs of bean curd bulging out of the uniform. 

It was only a few months ago an article came out slamming the Navy as the “Fattest of all the services.” Once again, “No Shit Sherlock!” A full morning of PT is not conducive to the Navy way of life unless you want to remain at work until 2100 every evening.  But then again, who am I to judge … and I certainly don’t want to put that on our shipmates.  You  just have to wonder where they come up with this stuff…



1 comment:

  1. This has been going on since I joined ('64). When on my first deployment we initiated "JFKs". We all lined up on the cargo deck and exercised. That ended after we reached Yokosuka. Then it was off to the line for 35 hour days. I asked a flight surgeon what the magic answer to keeping weight down (after I turned 30) and he said: "There is no magic pill. Keep your intake down, limit your meat intake, increase your salad intake, cut out pasta, bread, pastry." I tried it. He was absolutely correct. I ran my five miles a day and corrected my intake. Maintained weight for 19 years. When I retired at 41 (27 years) I was outdoing our young troops in most areas simply because I jogged daily, didn't eat junk and lifted a few weights.

    ReplyDelete