Saturday, January 11, 2020

"Care Packages"


Once again, another tidbit from our very own “Preacher” Owyn Bradford. I hope you all enjoy the nostalgia …


All right lads, I got a no-shitter for ya. I got a really good care package my mom sent me at Christmastime '66 when I was on Yankee Station. There were some pretty wild girly mags in that box and here's how it happened. She had to go up to Boston on business and stopped in an ... establishment ... in the Combat Zone. Yeah that's right, one of them f**k book stores … LOL!!! She's looking around the racks and the old guy behind the counter gets off his stool and comes bustling over.

"Lady. Lady! You know what kind of store this is?"

My mom looks at him - tattoos all over his arms - and says …

"You ex-Navy?"

"Well...yeah..."

"So am I. First Class. World War II. So's my son a sailor. He's on a carrier on Yankee Station and I'm fixing him up for Christmas. Nothing here I haven't seen before. Nothing here I haven't DONE before. You got a problem?"

Guy shakes his head and goes and sits back down on his stool. Mom gets four mags, pays for 'em and walks out. Yeah there was goodies and pipe tobacco and toiletries ... but those books – WoW!!! She told that story again and again right up to the end of her life. What a sailor! What a woman! LOL …

I was mentioning my mom yesterday and it brought this to mind. 😁




1 comment: