Saturday, October 16, 2021

"The Taste of That S.O.S"

You all remember that infamous S.O.S more regularly known as Shit on a Shingle! Well, this one was written during WWII. I hope you all enjoy … 




Oh buddy of mine, oh dearest friend,

Oh, will you tell me true,

Is this stuff really Shit on a Shingle,

Or a nasty kind of glue?

For it stuck my jaws together,

And I’ve lost a tooth or two.

Fear not, old friend, it’s dinkum stuff.

An Old Navy kind of stew;

I saw the cook a’makin it,

He was grinding up a shoe.

With a little soap, some table wax,

And a cup of milk or two.

He seasoned it with dynamite,

And a bull cockroach, all blue.

Then to make it set just right,

The maestro of the stew,

He sat down at the table and,

Tossed in his other shoe!

He stripped his feet of both his socks,

And threw them in too;

He added salt and pepper,

Just to make a tasty brew.

He served it over first aid packs,

Of canvas nice and new.

I’ll have to say, You’re right, old friend,

It’s too damned tough to chew!


4 comments:

  1. Growing up my mother insisted it was Chipped Beef on Toast. Dad called it SOS but wouldn't share what the acronym meant till I was older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two versions with the same name - one uses salted beef (Chipped Beef) and the other uses ground/minced beef (Hamburger) but both have a white or grey gravy and are served on shingles (Toast.)

      Delete
  2. Not quite as bad as the "Davie" limerick.
    "There once was a queer named Davie
    Who was a cook in the Navy
    He took all of the cum
    That dripped out of his bum
    And stirred it into the gravy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it was/is an old favorite. My mother only made it once that I can recall...but she made that thick crappy white gravey an awful lot...still hate that sh't

    ReplyDelete