Monday, July 17, 2017

'Coca Cola'




Coca-Cola has been a big part of the lives of millions of people in and throughout American History. From special occasions to exceptional moments in everyday life, Coca-Cola was there. The brand has become a special part of people's lives.

Over the years, thousands of military personnel had sent personal stories about how Coca-Cola had affected their lives. Whether it was a favorite childhood memory, a reminder of family gatherings, or a recollection of good times with shipmates, fellow soldiers and friends, Coca-Cola had touched the lives of servicemen and women all over the world.

Here are some of the stories that Coca-Cola fans shared from our Navy Marine Corp. team over the years…

While stationed in Korea in 1980-81, we went into the field often and missed the creature comforts. I’ll never forget one hot day running communications wire when a local lady hiked up the "hill" to sell Coke -- ice-cold Coke. We gave her a ride down the road and when we handed her the pack she was carrying, we could barely lift it. That Coke sure was good. I've had Coke all over the world, but that one Coke was the best!

It was my last day in Navy boot camp and I was ready to get out. Once I hit the airport, the first place I went was a pizza joint. I didn’t care about pizza; I was DYING to get a Coke. I got up to the counter only to realize I had packed my money in my suitcase and not my carry-on! I almost started to cry, when the man behind me offered to buy me not only a large Coke, but my lunch also. I can honestly say I've never had a better tasting Coke in my life, and I don’t think I ever will.

I am a United States Sailor on board the U.S.S. JFK and I am returning from a six month deployment from the Persian Gulf. I just wanted to let The Coca-Cola Company know how much your soda got me through each day. Every morning on my way to work I would stop by the cafeteria and pick up three cans of Coke from the all famous vending machine. I would bring those with me to work and put in my refrigerator. Looking forward to drinking each one, starting in the morning, then afternoon and evening. Seriously, drinking each one of those Cokes was so satisfying it actually gave me something to look forward to. Again thank you for doing what you do and helping me get through a rather brutal six months out to sea away from home.

New Year's Eve 2003: I was in the Navy, stationed on a patrol craft speeding from somewhere in the Persian Gulf to Kuwait for emergency repairs. After a few hours of rapid transit, the Captain called for all hands to man the deck in preparation to moor. As we eased the boat alongside the pier and tossed the mooring lines to fasten the ship, my watch beeped and caught my attention. It was midnight! The Captain got on the loudspeaker and said, "Happy New Year!" as we continued to struggle with the mooring lines. When it was all over, my friend brought out two cans of Coke. We sat down, toasted and celebrated the New Year! It was by far the most unique New Year's celebration I've ever had!

A month may not seem like a long time, but when you’re at war and haven’t had a Coke in that long it seems like forever. In Baghdad while sitting at a checkpoint, my Executive Officer comes out to us and says, "Look what some locals brought us." Lo and behold a Coke. I think the rest of the day was perfect.

I graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in May 2000. While there, I would have two or three glasses of Coke every day, especially after a long day of classes, after a hard lacrosse practice or after two hours on the drill field. I love Coke. I honestly would never have made it through Annapolis without it. Now I am an Ensign about to start flight training to be a Navy pilot. Thank God they have Coke on ships! I wonder if they will let me bring it in my jet?

In 1956, I was young pilot on USS Forrestal stopped in south England. I encountered a small group of visitors on tour of ship, and I gave them a Coke. One of the group, an elderly Englishman, took a drink and exclaimed, "The ingenuity of you Yanks - to serve it over ice."

My father was in the Navy based out of Subic Bay in the Philippines, where he met my mother, who was serving Coca-Cola at a stand. They have been married for almost 40 years now!

In 1970 I was stationed on a Navy Ship U.S.S. Kitty Hawk in Vietnam. We hauled 10,000 cases of Coke on board by hand. I was one of the lucky men who had this privilege. We hand carried each case of canned Coke down six flights of stairs on the ship every other week. There were 5,000 men stationed on the Kitty Hawk and everyone looked forward to the "Coke Run." One run took 18 hours! Liberty and a refreshing Coke were our rewards for doing this.

I remember when I was in Korea we used to play Distance. Under every Coca-Cola bottle was a state and the one of us with the farthest distance from our home town was the winner. Great time, great Coke. 

My Coca-Cola story is from Feb. 26, 1991. I was a U.S. Marine in the Persian Gulf. My unit was heading back south from Kuwait City. We had stopped for a few minutes to rest. A lone vehicle was coming our way. A Marine came out and tossed cases of Coke and diet Coke to us. It was like a dream come true. It was the best diet Coke I had ever had.


( Click Image )

No comments:

Post a Comment