Friday, July 28, 2017

'F.R.E.D.'


Here’s another ‘Goofy Memory’ that zipped right out of my analog mind and out into the open…

I know some of you shipmates went to the old school B.E.E.! This was before what’s now known as Tech Core!! We had a computer that graded our progress and his name was F.R.E.D.!! How many of you ol’ coots remember F.R.E.D.?!?

I remember when we were introduced to F.R.E.D., the central mainframe computer that would calculate your test score through each associated module! F.R.E.D. was an acronym… you remember Navy acronyms don’t you?!?  F.R.E.D. stood for “Fucking Ridiculous Electronic Device!”  Supposedly the creators of F.R.E.D. had come up with the name!!!

F.R.E.D. was nothing more than a scanning computer where you put your answer sheet full of scribbled in bubbles through it’s mouth and it would spit it out the other end and in my case… tell me what a damned idiot I was! B.E.E. was at the time, a self-paced course and the instructors were merely proctors who were there to stand over you and make sure you weren’t cheating or screwing off in the cubicles!! They weren’t much help unless you were an ass kisser or had D-cups for chesticles!!!

The Proctors were all employed by some local community college … Lake something or rather … hell, I forget the name! They all wore tan colored smocks and smoked two packs a day… and most were retired Goats from the Chief’s Mess!! I’m pretty sure if the course curriculum were on advanced female bust development they would have taken charge and schooled every one of us… I would have paid more attention and aced the course if that were the case!!!

But we were just young and dumb … Smelling like moth balls … Drinking coffee you could patch potholes with and breathing permafrost … doing nothing worth mentioning!!!




12 comments:

  1. If I remember correctly, F.R.E.D. was physically located in Memphis, TN. We called it Fucking Ridiculous Educational Device when I was in EM "A" school back in 83 though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. must have come along way after my time in the canoe club 3/55-10/63 the only fred I know is with the railroad they call the blinking light on the end of a trail fucking rear end device

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grading when I attended schools (Basic E & E, TM "A" School, Sub School and Launcher school) was a paper answer sheet with the correct answers punched out. Instructor would lay it over test sheet and mark out incorrect answers. Figured out your grade right away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 65-69....BE&E was with a blackboard. ..and multiple choice...tests

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEE 1970 GL. Multiple choice. No FRED.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patrick Hrabe used FRED in his "Hey, Shipwreck" animated comic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You didn't even have to look at the report sheet as it printed to know if you passed or not. The "ACE" report had a very distinct sound to it as that dot matrix printer went into action!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did BEE in Sandiego dec 84-april 85. We all feared FRED! Our proctors were fleet return sailors. Most were useless and gave us crap. That SHOULD have been eliminated much earliar. Saw some smart guys get dropped out. Nobody cared about them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went thru Bee school in72. had toads and goats sitting on their asses drinking coffee all day and mocking the fails. they had to redo the module and couldn't take the test again for two days. when I took the waveguide and antenna section in three days and got a seventy five on the tes, the toad proctor says to the others this dipshit did a three week course in the days and only got a seventy five on it. I just stated to the room "Passed the test now didn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The proctor's represented Lake County Community College, iirc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. CLC, College of Lake County. I was one... for two days, then a better job offer came around.

    ReplyDelete