Wednesday, July 29, 2020

"Operation Appendix"


Here’s another rusty recollection from our salty ol’ pal Owyn “Preacher” Bradford. He’s always got some good ones from the good ol’ days …



"This month’s playmate must be outta sight!"


Now this ain't no shit, mates. 1966, Naval hospital Cubi Point PI. It was two days after an operation to remove the remnants of a busted appendix. I had drain tubes in me and all, insides had been fulla infection.

Right after breakfast this chief comes over…

"Heave out shipmate, it's time to turn too for field day."

"Just had an operation, Chief."

"Don't give me that stuff, turn too!"

Just then three-striper doc comes over…

"This man stays in bed, Chief. My authorization."

And he turns away. Chief glowers, bends down and hisses…

"I'll fix you, sonny boy!"

Loud enough for doc to hear, I blurt out

"What do you mean you'll fix me, Chief?"

Doc comes back, takes chief by the arm.

"You come with me right now!"

As to the rest, we can only guess...


6 comments:

  1. In boot camp (GLAKES - 83-011), those of us who had immunizations overseas all tested positive for TB and had an appt to go for a chest x-ray. I mentioned this to the CPO who was teaching the underwater macrame or whatever bullshit... He immediately pronounced me, like something out of the Pink Floyd Wall movie, "LOOK EVERYBODY! A SICKBAY COMMANDO!! YOU'LL SEE THEM WIMPING OFF TO SICK CALL EVERY TIME THE GOING GETS TOUGH!"

    I learned an important lesson that day - the Left Hand knows not what the Right Hand does. I used that the entire time I was in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My division officer said there was no excuse for being late then called the next day wanting me to cover for him because his dog was sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My "it's just a sprained ankle, get over it" Turned out to be broken and dislocated, which I walked on. For two years. Chief told me losing weight would help and tried to give me diet tips

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1966. Had my appendix out in boot camp and was up pushing broom and mopping after one full day in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had a double hernia while on board the Ranger at the beginning of Westpac '79. I wouldn't let them operate while on board ship. Doc wrote me up as up fit for sea duty. When we got to PI I check into the hospital. The next day the nurses went on strike. I got a signed to the squadron beach det for 2 months because of it, while the shipp just did quals and crap. My 1st class was not happy, but I loved it. Got back on the ship in time for the next real port of call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typo was "unfit" for sea duty.

      Delete