Friday, October 7, 2011

Messdeck Garnishings

For those of you way back on the Rainier…  you probably noticed all along the mess line there were all sorts of little carved food - the gaudamned mess cooks spent more time carving roses, peacocks, etc. out of carrots, radishes and celery than they did cooking edible food for us.

At chow, I would load up my tray with all of that bullshit so that I had more garnished crap on my tray than food. Every once in a while, I'd get caught and have to feign ignorance that I didn't realize we weren't supposed to be eating that crap.

At the end of the meal it was very rewarding to have a tray loaded up with these insanely hideous carvings and take it to the scullery to dump it off... I can just picture how pissed a mess cook would be to walk by and see me chuck all of his precious carvings in to the shit can.



No comments:

Post a Comment