Friday, September 1, 2017

'Sailors & Marines'




Here’s one from a museum volunteer! This is pretty good… too good not to share!!!

I work on a WWII aircraft carrier, the USS Hornet! It is now a museum and is at the old Alameda Navy Base in Alameda, CA. I guess you can consider this a funny military story, although it involved an old Navy ship, two Marines and a Women's Army Corp (a pretend one anyway!)

Every couple months we have big band dances, like Glen Miller, Benny Goodman, etc. I work there and I also go to the dances as a WAC with my recreation group!!!

This dance was a couple months ago! Vince, an ex-Navy guy who lives on the ship had his brother, a Marine and his buddy, also a Marine on the ship visiting and they stayed for the dance!!!

During the dance Vince and I took them for a tour of the ship! When we were up at the Forecastle (where they kept the anchor chains) the two Marines asked me if I knew about the old Navy tradition of spitting out port holes!! I said no!! They said every time you pass a port hole you have to spit out of it!! So when we came to a porthole they would spit out of it then I would do the same, then Vince would follow suite!!!

This went on a bit because there were a lot of port holes!!!

So the next day I was on the ship again! We just happened to have the Navy Reserves there as well as some Marine unit too!! I kept asking the Navy guys, then the Marine guys about the "Old Navy spitting out of a porthole tradition."

They all looked at me blankly and said they didn't know about this tradition!!!

So later in the day, I saw Vince and asked him why no one had heard about this spitting out of the porthole thing! He just started laughing his head off!! I said…

"What? What?????????"

He said…

"Well didn't you notice those portholes were getting lower and lower?"

I said…

"Yeah!?!"

He said…

"And you’re skirt was rising up... higher and higher!!!”

Leave it up to a couple of Leathernecks and a Crackerjack!!!

1 comment:

  1. Well your damned if you do comment on this particular one and damned if you don't kinda. It's funny but kinda Pervy at the same time. Damn! I've become such a old married man!

    ReplyDelete