Saturday, March 23, 2024

" Another Bawdy Ballad "


Another bawdy ballad from the book of “Bawdy Ballads.” I hope you enjoy…


When I was young and foolish,

I sued to take delight.

Attending balls and dances,

And staying out at night.

 

‘Twas at a ball I met him.

He made me dance.

I knew he was a sailor,

By the buttons on his pants.

 

His shoes were neatly polished,

His hair was neatly combed.

And when the dance was over,

He asked to take me home.

 

As we walked home together,

I heard the people say,

“There goes another girlie

That’s being led astray.”

 

‘Twas on my father’s doorstep,

That I was led astray.

‘Twas in my mother’s bedroom

That I was forced to lay.

 

He laid me down so gently,

He raised my dresses high.

He said, “Now, Maggie, darling,

Take it now or die.

 

“Here’s half a dollar

For the damage I have done.

For soon you will have children,

A daughter or a son.

 

“If it is a daughter,

Take her on your knee,

But if it is a son, then

Sen him out to sea.

 

“I hope next time I see you

That you’ll remember me,

And thank God for the blessing

That I have brought to thee.”




No comments:

Post a Comment