Sunday, September 25, 2011

‘Unreps With Grape Ape’

Underway replenishment, “UNREPS,” is the transfer of fuel, ammo, food and other supplies between ships at sea and is the key factor allowing the Navy to operate across the vast expanses of Ocean anywhere on Earth. The ship's crew shoots a small line from one ship to the other using a special M-14 rifle, with more than one attempt sometimes if necessary. When the other ship retrieves the line, crew members begin pulling until the heavy, attached hawser extends across the water between the two vessels. The hawser is then heaved across with the fuel transfer tubing between the ships. This is an arduous if not dangerous task.

On board my first ship, USS Bagley, I was the Line Captain for the UNREP Green Team. On my team we had a rather large Radioman we called Grape Ape or “GA”. He was an intimidating 6’4” and about 300lbs. One day while in the Philippine Sea the waves were choppy with a bit of overcast as we were preparing to UNREP with the Rappahannock. “GA” was usually our anchor on the line as he was clearly the biggest guy in our 7 to 8 man team.

Just before the evolution took place I had noticed “GA” and another sailor clowning around. I yelled back to focus and stop the horseplay. “GA” just looked at me and gave me the bird. Now for those of you who know me well, I am a meager 5’6” tall and at the time a sheer 160lbs soak and wet. I walked back to the end by the flight deck and repeated myself in a firm and direct tone. “GA” stands over me in an intimidating manner and says, “What are you gonna do about it!” Not having the time to screw around with this guy I had to keep my wits and the whole team in order before I lost control of the situation. All of this was a must knowing that “GA”certainly had the physical ability to pound me into the nonskid like hammered shit.

With no hesitation I reached between his legs and grabbed a hold. A firm grip and an instant tug sent “GA” straight to the deck with a thud, on his knees, and a distinct shriek in his voice. Once I realized he had enough, I politely let go and left him on the flight deck to lick his wounds and regain his pride. He must have laid there for ten minutes before he left and went into the skin of the ship in utter humiliation.

At the end of the evolution the officer in charge asked me what the hell happened out there. I explained to him I felt some things just need to be handled swiftly and abruptly to get the job done. In my astonishment he applauded me for my actions and a job well done. But in today’s Navy I’d probably get charged with an Article 15 at Captain’s Mast and busted down in rank for assault. but that my friends is how it happened…..and that is a no shitter!!


No comments:

Post a Comment