Wednesday, August 10, 2011

“Crank’n”


In the Navy, on top of the job you enlisted for, you're also expected to be a firefighter... janitor... and food service attendant among many other things. For the first couple of years you're in the indentured servant program. You’ll get paid but it’s pennies on the dollar and you’ll be left to do most of the shit work that no one else is gonna do. But that was to be expected when I joined back in 1987.

There I was on the USS Bagley FF 1069... a tin can as most frigates and destroyers are so affectionately referred too and barely large enough to fit the 280 sailors who called it home. When I got to the ship I was introduced to the job so warmly dubbed as 'crank’n.' Ahhh yes, mess crank’n... before the Politically Correct Circus took over and changed it to Food Service Attendant (FSA). Nearly every junior enlisted gets their hand in at least one three month tour working sixteen long hour days starting bright and early to the smell of cooking grease at 0530 wearing those prestigious serving hats! I should have considered myself lucky as I only had to do 72 days... Thanks to FC3 Morrison and his unsightly acne that kept his filthy ass from working around any food.

There were many jobs you could be assigned to while Crank’n... usually the first job was refilling the condiments on each table... taking out trash... refilling juice machines... and constantly wiping down tables. I hated that job as I was always called upon to be a damn gopher… gopher this, gopher that..etc!! But you didn’t want to work in the Deep Sink... guys would get 2nd degree burns from the water and serious cuts from all the gaudamned sharpies!!! Then there was the wardroom where some typical jackass officer would always leave his shit mess on the table and bitch about his food touching on his plate or some other stupid shit. Most of those assholes got a pube or two in there chow on a daily basis. But I think the most prized job of all was the Chief’s Mess as they always payed a handsome dowry for your worthiness, however I was never fortunate enough to be ordained with such esteem...

Nope, for me I was introduced to bang’n trays in 120˚ temps at 100% humidity!!! Yes, that was the good ol’ scullery... where Igor the Dragon would conveyor all the dirty dishes through a soap and rinse cycle to be rushed back out to the mess decks for another group of filthy 'Crackerjacks' to make them dirty again. But I gotta say I actually enjoyed this job more than the rest. I didn't have to deal with people, and so long as I kept up with the dirty trays and silverware, I didn't get any complaints. Well, there was the exception of the scullery tray window directly across from the Chief’s Mess door. Every time there was a dirty tray left on the lip of the window and the ship took a roll, the door would get a nasty muddle of food flying in its direction. Oh, I tried in vein to keep this from happening, even putting a sign over the window to please put trays over the lip. There was this EW1... 'yelled at him to put his tray inside the lip, so he chucks the damned tray at me! That got my ass in a tail spin... Noth'n worse than being in a losing situation, even if I could have kicked his ass, I would’ve been explaining to the Skipper why I struck a First Class Petty Officer. But I left it alone. Something I had to learn to do quite often growing up in the ranks.

I had the fortunate task of Crank’n while we were on deployment. Yes, it was Westpac 89-90, my first skip across the Pacific Pond. The nice thing about pulling in port for a few days was that I only had to work in the galley every other day. This left plenty of room for some liberty time. Specifically while we were in the P.I. or Philippines for all you land lubbers! The freak’n place was an adult Disney World, but I’ll leave that for another story!! I remember coming in at 0200-0300 in the morning filled to the hilt with San Migoo (San Miguel), Mojo, and Bullfrog just to catch a couple of winks before my drunk ass had to serve chow for the next work day! This was a common occurrence as a Fireman I once worked with was passed out under the dragon with the dry heaves well into the breakfast meal on a certain occasion. I was covering his ass while our Filipino MSCS, Senior Chief Angeles was out on the prowl looking for our drunk asses. I think he got a joy out of watching us suffer in his home port. He knew how us American boys were over there and this was his chance to make asses out of us.

“You pucking mudder puckers better get to work, Sheeet!” I pucking better not catch you pucking off!” I’ll pucking hab your asses!”

Yes this was the typical ranting of Senior Chief Angeles at least two or three times a day. I don’t think I ever saw this guy smile. During the day we use to have the local stevedores come aboard with all of our dry goods and produce. These guys would form a line all the way from the brow to the refer decks passing the goods down below. Senior would always give them handouts along the way. I remember our Mess Deck Master at Arms, FC1 Hodges would get soooooo pissed about this and he’d chase them out of the mess decks. One day Senior Angeles confronted FC1 about terrorizing his stevedores’!

“Why you pucking gib deez guys hard time? You leave them alone. They work for me!”

This pissed FC1 off as he replied,

“I don’t need you as Ali Babba and the Forty Thievedores trampling through the mess decks and stealing all our food!”

Oh man! I laughed my ass off for days! That was one of the best comeback moments I’d ever witnessed. The funny thing was, it put Senior in his place. He never came at FC1 like that again the rest of his tour!!

And they say the Filipino Mafia doesn’t exist! LOL!!!



19 comments:

  1. Remember crankin' in the Summer of '86 onboard the Chucky V. Worked in S-5 (officer's mess), in the scullery. They called us the scullery techs. The PO's in charge were all Filipeno guys, they ran that place like it was their own kingdom. Eating chow in the breakroom was like sitting in a Jeepney, no english spoken at all, everytime they would all start laughing, you would get the feeling they were laughing about you. We were called The S-5 Strokers. Yep, it was on the tshirts we were issued. Any time I went down to my shop I was greeted by "Here comes our number one STROKER!!" "Whatcha been STROKIN' lately?" You can see where this was going. Wish I had saved one of those shirts. Not bad times though. Inport work schedule was actually pretty good. 2 on, 3 off, 3 on, 2 off. Worked good when we visited Hawaii for a total of 18 days during '86 RIMPAC. Work was okay. Fed "The Dragon" dirty dishes and silverware, then came all the pots and pans. Always bagged the extra "egg mcmuffins" and would bring em to the shop. The soap was hell on your skin, shit would eat through everything. Other duties were strip and wax the common passegeways in S-5. All in all, not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was an MS on the Vinson and the USS California from '81-86, and I remember how we used to abuse our messcranks back in the day. Us cooks worked out asses off especially on deployment, but the messcranks got flat out crushed. Almost made me feel sorry for them. But then I remembered that they only had to do it for 90 days. The brass used to tell us to call them Mess Attendants, but the cranks themselves preferred to be called Messcranks. There were times, we'd see the same guys crankin' over and over again, and we'd say 'Damn, are you such a fuck up that they keep sending your ass back here?' Once would have been enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan! Cranked on the Bowen FF1079 Summer of 1979. Skullary Tech as well! The worst part was trying to stay alive in the skullary during Hurricane David! Tried to score some points by "cleaning" the coffee urns on the mess decks! No one drank the coffee for a week and it was a week of hell for me! And the Fillipino MS's were nuts! There was MS1 Tommy Bonga-bonga and he was a nut job! Thanks for the memories, keep up the great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that scullery window on the Rathburne FF1057 and while underway,a few times, shit and trays and silverware flew, I think shit maybe even flew down into my world, that is to say M&B berthing. About mess crankin', I really had it made. I was a wardroom mess crank in drydock, which meant I didnt do anything but make sure there was coffee and take out the trash. It was great. Of course, I spent plenty of time skatin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard Fourcher EM1November 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM

      i was MC on the Rat also 88, got to do mine on Pac. only had to do 45 days. did pots and panshehehehe

      Delete
  5. I was the mess deck maa during drydock-thank god!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was one of the fortunate ones that got to do my mess crankin' in the " goat locker " . 1977 on the Tarawa , to this day I will thank OSC Cross for this ,,,,,It was worth every minute of it. Show a little ambition, make a rack or two because someone got up late, polish shoes once in a while cause they were getting scuffed, Come payday you would find an envelope with your name on it just laying on the table. Always seemed to have enough in it to take the wife out for supper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had one guy on the Eddy that got out of the Navy as an ENFA (ironically, never went to mast). He preferred crankin' over going back in the hole.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cranked on the USS TENNESSEE SSBN 734 BLUE crew in 1993. It sucked on a submarine. I cranked both in port and at sea. I was a YN so they always wanted to send me back there. We would call the shipmates "hungry motherfuckers" as they filed in to eat! MS2 Charles Green was this dude from Detroit and he was a lazy mother effer. He would watch you in the scullery through the little circle window to make sure you were using a greeny on the silverware (which I did not). He was so charcoal black that all you could see it two golfball sized white eyes looking at you through the scullery door. He also wore these black and white checkerboard pants that made me sick. He was so lazy that he would prepare the meal hours in advance and put it on the hot line so that he could clean the galley, so that when after the meal was served, he just pulled the pans off the line, shoved them in to the crank window, and jetted out on liberty because the galley was already clean! All cooks in the Navy are lazy scumbags! MSC/SS William C Kreuter aka "krusty" was a bald little man who I hope is washing dishes somewhere right now himself! What an asshole and a POS! For all you cranks out there bustin' dat ass.....I feel you doggs! BET......"P"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a strange coincidence. I have never been on this page before and was just reading comments. I couldn't believe when you mentioned Chief Kreiter! I knew him in Orlando at RTC. He was a company commander so was I. Loved your comment. I mess cranked in 76. Retired a BMCM.

      Delete
  9. Even tho I was an EM, I had learned to cook from a Swedish chef when I was in High School. Once the Mess Decks Chief found THAT out, I never did anything BUT cook! He even tried to get me to change my rating. Happily I was back in Engineering after 3 months

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fc1 Hodges. My old work center supervisor. CIWS a brass warning bell on it. He loved that damn bell. Neverdulling that bell was more important then PM on the weapon. Let some green show up and that 6'3" or 4" guy...Well the red would start to rise from under the blue fire retardant shirt, up his neck until whole face covered. Under that white blonde stock of hair, I thought the American flag was gonna shit on me

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh, such good memories shipmates!!! Best time of my life!
    I met my wife while stationed in Bremerton....And I thank Jesus for meeting her...RIP my love...Sherrie Raber 3/31/76-7/1/11 I thank God for such an amazing experience with the Navy and then meet you...Thank you for such an amazing trip my love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I "mess cooked" (what they called it on my Tin Can) for four months because there was no one to replace me until we got home. It was in the North Atlantic during the '73 NATO cruise. You couldn't put anything sharp down while at sea or it would come flying back at you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Corpsmen usually do not mess crank. But I pissed HM1 off and he sent me to crank. Most of the MS were nice to me compared to other crankers. Except the MSC. The day after I was done with my cranking tour. I shut the kitchen down for cleaning. They gave me 3 months to learn where they skimed on cleaning and such. And as part of the corpsmans job is health and wellness inspections.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I mess cranked right after WestPac 94, so I was lucky, we didn't go to see during that time at all. I was working starboard nights, and I remember that as soon as our chief was done telling us what our nightly duties were, nearly all of the other crankers would go to their racks, night after night. So many nights I was the only one who actually stayed on the mess decks like I was ordered to (well, also Shawn Lee, but he finished cranking before I did).

    When Thanksgiving weekend rolled around, the Captain gave orders that nobody was allowed to have a full four day weekend. I already was in on the part of my schedule where I had Friday through Sunday off, so I went to talk to the LPO, reminded him of how I was always where I was supposed to be even though everyone else always disappeared, and never slept on the job. I then asked if he could give me Thanksgiving off, and not only did he do so, he even let me off a couple of hours early so I could shower and pack a bag! I was able to take a train to southern California and spend Thanksgiving weekend with my family. Thank you, I may not remember your name but I remember what you did for me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did it in boot camp, worked the serving line, serving, then polishing those brass hot water lines. When I got to my ship, 3rd(ASW) div. didn't have to send anybody till I made E-4 and didn't have to go. Made up for it by having to clean the head or berthing area for XO's daily inspection for most of the first year.

    ReplyDelete