Sunday, June 26, 2011

"Ol' School Navy Boot Camp"

I couldn’t tell you my motives exactly to why I joined the Navy out of High School. I have several assertions as to why, though I’m sure it’s a combination of several reasons. For one my High School Sweetheart, Nancy, was marrying a guy who had just joined the Nuke Program .. I guess I had something to prove! Two, I had always been enamored with the idea of the sailor with a girl at every port and all those movies of carousing, boozing and philandering the world over. Who wouldn’t love an incessant party? That’s what I was all about in those days! But ultimately I just knew I was destined to join the military no matter what.

When I first decided to join the Navy I was in the Delayed Entry Program for about 11 months. My recruiter was a Schlep Rock Boatswains Mate who only contacted me on two separate occasions. It’s a wonder I was able to stay afloat. Just prior to leaving for boot camp I had recently indulged myself into another serious relationship that was prematurely dabbling with the idea of marriage. What the hell was I thinking? Anyway, not to get off track, there is nothing more erotically exciting than trying to quietly have sex with your girlfriend under the blankets with parents in the room. This would explain my night at the MEPS hotel prior to leaving to Boot Camp .. WOW, that was fun!!

..Moving right along…

I remember thinking during my first days in Navy Boot Camp at Great Lakes that I made an awful & dreadful mistake. How could have I possibly be looking forward to this shit? That punk ass Navy recruiter with his car salesman contentions that somehow enlisted my gullible ass in the Navy convinced me my post-adolescent amateur ideas would somehow be matured by the wisdom of a drill instructing ol’ salt who couldn’t speak a single phrase without a four letter word of ill repute. This I affirm was used with no shame at the dinner table and various other settings with a perplexed eye on my first leave home.

A hot and muggy season off the coast of Lake Michigan is enough to make most men lament in distress. “Don’t lock your knees when standing at attention!” I learned this lesson well as so many recruits fell to the asphalt “grinder” that was covered with bird shit and spit! Always drilling with my M-1 “piece” we had the worst f@#%king Company in RTC. For those of you not familiar with the Navy, those who get held back in boot camp are ASMO’D. I still don’t have a clue what the hell that stands for but you didn’t want to spend another two or three weeks at RTC getting yelled at and treated like your less than dog shit. When I graduated boot camp about two thirds of my company was made of retread, ASMO’D from other companies. That was about the jest of it all. In comparison, I think today’s boot camp does a pretty good job of breaking a recruit down and rebuilding them, but I was still pretty clueless when it was all said and done no thanks to my recruiter who’s best advice was to sit in the back and keep your mouth shut as to not draw any attention. That’s no way to train a future leader for damn sure.

In the beginning I learned quickly what it means to hurry up and wait with rows of young men standing in line checked by medical corpsman we called “Pecker Checkers” before being shipped off to stand in the next line. There’s nothing like standing around in your underwear going from station to station smelling like mothballs and oblivious to what the hell you were doing. First you checked in from the airport at 0100 hours only to catch enough sleep to confuse your senses and leave you in a state of bewilderment. From there it was a blur of try this on try that on, shave, shit, & shower and learn how to fold your crap into a shelf the size of a high school gym locker. The dungaree pants were the ugliest set of bellbottoms with a chambray shirt that had your last name stenciled across the right breast pocket to fittingly make you look like you were in prison.

Next was the infamous chow hall where we were marched and lined up to eat the best food the military has to offer. I refused to eat much as I had been warned of the fabled 'Salt Peeter.' I thought to myself...


“If that crap is laced into anything it’s the Chipped beef in white gravy!”

...which was a favorite entrée. I later learned this was not the case, but who could blame my ass for being so naïve.

When my P-days (“P” for processing) were over we learned to march and exercise in an unrelenting fashion carrying a WWII type M-1 rifle everywhere we went. This absolutely sucked. My arms probably grew an extra inch around from eight long weeks of this abuse and for that I can say I was thankful. There was plenty of screaming, cursing and intimidation for all to go around on how to relearn everything you’ve ever been taught growing up from making your rack to how to tie your shoes. I was slowly brainwashed through intense pain! Did I say intense? Intensive Training was the phrase used to dish out punishment we received to squeeze out our Attention Deficit Disorder that we all seemed to show up to boot camp with!

I specifically remember an instance when I pissed off my Company-Commander (CC) as they were called back then for giggling under my breath for what I don’t even remember...


"What’s so fucking funny numb nuts?”

For my lack of obedience the whole company had to recite while at attention...

“My name is Richard Cranium but you can call me Dick Head Sir!!”

Then slide under each of fifty racks and pop back at attention and recite it again until we had rotated all the way around the room. This was so adoringly given the name submarine races!! We did this many times for lacking attention to detail when it came to 'Irish Pennants' or the classic 'Inspected by #69' found in the pockets of our Pcoats. I thought Navy Boot Camp was going to be easy, but this was my wake up call.

Another endearing memory was the 'Dear John Board.' Stationed right outside the CC’s office was a bulletin board where we could all put a picture of Suzie Rotten Crotch and Dear John Letters!! Oh my, was this fun!! There was nothing modest about the 'Dear John Board' if you catch my drift! The problem being, we were only allowed to look at the board five minutes before 'Taps Lights Out.' If we were caught 'skylarking' at the board then for good measure we were taught another lesson at team work and forced to do submarine races again! The main difference in this case was that while we were so charmingly embracing our moment of atonement, our CC would explain to us the meaning of Love!


"Love, recruits, is a feeling that starts out in the back of your brain, travels down your spinal cord, and out through the head of your dick. Love is five to six inches deep. There is nothing as overrated as a piece of ass and there is nothing as underrated as a good shit."

…If you haven’t figured it out by now consequences were always a plenty.

The endearing names of bonehead and numb nuts will forever live in our minds. I quickly learned what it meant to keep my dick skinners to myself and how to deliver at least a thousand four letter words and dirty little phrases. Unfortunately today’s Navy does not have room for this kind of discipline. Too PC” for a Sailor like me!!


“Lord forgive me fore I am a Sailor!” A-men!!!






18 comments:

  1. Well said, Dennis, I remember all that and more. Most of us came out better men, the rest got sent home. That was the "Old Navy", now we're just a bunch "Old Sailors" with a seabag full of memories. No, we wouldn't fit in today's Navy, but I don think they would make it in ours either. Love your stories, keep them coming......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sad they treat them like dogs

      Delete
  2. Seconded, keep 'em coming Dennis, I don't remember the Submarine races, but I do remember cleaning up after a White tornado, and making it rain in the barracks. MSC Hill if you are out there somehow - thanks?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Date: 1968 - - I think of all of the experiences I have had in my life and NOTHING stands out more than Boot Camp as not only was it tough but it changed our lives forever. On my third day there, our Chief slapped the crap out of me because I did not answer his direct question correctly!! Ooooohh, yes I got hit and they are not supposed to do that in those days - suck it up sailor! We went in a boys and came out as men. To this day I am thankful for the experience and some things never change - ask my wife what I do when I find clothing on the floor! LOL!!! So we are not as bad as Marines, but we still keep a lot of what we learned throughout our lives - and personally I am glad of it!! Thank you Company 474!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brings back a bunch of memories!

    GMC (guns) Wright was our CC. Company 176 at Great Lakes. Got there July 24 1979 and will never forget it! My first few days there..I was always kicking myself in the ass for enlisting but like Mike said...NOTHING stands out more in my life than bootcamp. I am forver thankful to Chief Wright and MM2 Knapp for changing me from a wise-ass from NJ in to a man.

    ASMO'D...Never did figure out WTH that was either. I was never ASMO'd but we sure had a buttload of them that came into our company.

    Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. July 4 1978 1st day at boot camp Great Lakes
    Always remember

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Many Memories. 1983 Summer HOT!

    ASMO - Assignment Memorandum - to be sent back in recruit training. RDC's frequently threaten their Division with being ASMO'd. Recruits do get ASMO'd for disciplinary or medical, or because a recruit has not passed a test. http://www.navy-info.com/boot_camp_vocabulary.html FYI

    ReplyDelete
  7. We did not to the submarine Races.. We Marched to our CC's House for ICE CREAM AND CAKE!... the way you do that is you Place your LOcker with everything in it on your rack.. and your partner the same.. oh and your M-1 also... then you and your bunk mate go to the end of the rack.. and you pick up that entire mess and chest level and you start RUNNING IN PLACE AND YELLING AT THE TOP OF YOUR LUNGS ICE CREAM AND CAKE, ICE CREAM AND CAKE!!! OVER AND OVER AGAIN!!.. HT1 CULVIN COMPANY 234 NTC SAN DIEGO 1973

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HT1 CULVIN WAS THE CC

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a pretty 'Chicken-S---' outfit??? Partners? Running in place? Ice Cream and Cake??? Seems fitting for those new outfits (uniforms???) that made everyone look like 'Good Humor Ice Cream Truck Drivers' - But then what would you expect from the West Coast?!!

      Delete
  8. I went through boot camp in 1975. Everyone was a turd or a bug. We watched "television" in push-up position. Lapped the company with an M-1 overhead. The C-C sent the people with two left feet to sick-call. There was the Delta tour for the real screw ups. Service week in the galley was for most of us "bugs."

    When I heard about "stress cards" in boot camp in the '80s I did a Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Oscar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I (Frank A. Sauro, Jr.) went through Great Lakes Boot Camp October - December 1962; which was to turn out to be the longest and coldest winter of my life (counting not only 'The Lakes' but my Boot Leave in Massachusetts, reporting aboard the USS Rich in Norfolk (S-City), and then off to a Fram job at the Brooklyn Navy Yard...).

    We didn't use the term ASMO (?), there were Mickey Mouse Outfit(s) that bed-wetters, attitude cases, and/or slow learners were transferred to (as necessary). - While I was certainly a 'wise-cracking smart ass' just turned seventeen year old in Boot Camp; I was never close to being threatened with 'Mickey Mouse'.

    That is not to say that I was not a regular participant in doing push-ups, as well as the 'demerit' system that so readily provided me with opportunities to broaden my resume to include 'proven proficiency and expertise' in performing the 96-Count Drill with Ol' Bess (my assigned M-1).

    I remember the mouthful of whatever 'gear adrift' was in my pockets on arrival day at Camp Moffet... I remember the 'Clothes-Stops' and the correct tying of them (grrr...). I remember standing guard fully dressed in foul-weather gear over any attacks by any enemy to the steam room...

    I also remember how surprised I was at how; with out any awareness at all on my part, the Company Commander and Instructors at the Great Lakes somehow had actually 'trained me' and made me a pretty darn good sailor! (I still think we could have accomplished it with fewer push-ups and demerits though... lol).

    The only other important (at least in my mind) memory/observation I have from boot camp is that the whole endeavor; while being conducted/executed as a group of many others besides myself (Whole Company), - the whole time, course(s), experience(s) were geared to the individual's growth and development.

    Anchors Aweigh!
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did boot camp in 1978 in Orlando, from Feb 29 (!) to late April or early May, & remained on active duty for half a dozen years. our boot camp vocab words were the same (numb nuts, submarine races, suzi rotten-crotch, etc.) we didn't have to drill with M1's tho. we did plenty of left obliques & by the right flank march's. & memorized those 12 general orders. my dad had prepared me, telling "one day you will wake up there wondering "what the hell have i done?" & that's totally normal!" & i did. & i knew that was normal:) i remember the CC's telling us "the Marines make you a man - in the Navy we expect you to already be men!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I attended boot camp in 1964 in San Diego. I gotta say, ya made me think about shit that I haven thought of in years. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1983 company 176 joe sheble was bunk above me. And the funniest guy I ever met across from me who shall remain nameless heres why: after last day of hell week we are all standing at attention outside of chowhall then ordered to parade rest. Said funny man places his dick in the man in front of hims hands and proceeds to let us know he "squoze" it. Could barely march back to barracks I was laughing so hard. HTC Winkler and SM1 Rivers were not bad. My nickname in bootcamp was gorilla, a fitting nomdejeur for someone that was stood at the end of his rack dog tags tossed over top end of rack and told to growl at anyone coming in door. PT was waaaay to easy and the company flag emblazoned with our thrill is to drill was an inside joke.
    I miss that and all things Navy. Bootcamp was an indoctrination into paying attention to detail and learning to hurry up and wait. I miss dungarees and chambray shirts and learning the nuances of folding a seabag full of clothes to fit into a cigar box. Yes company 176 1983 you were a hoot. Oh and Ragland if you are out there remember the red ropers sister we took home. God I loved the Navy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Went to Great Lakes in Feb. 1964. Best thing that ever happened to me, but that wasn't my thought at that time. This post brought back a lot of memories. Never heard the term ASMOED though, the term Set Back is what we used. We had people set back from our company and had some set back from companies ahead of us, even one guy who had been there for a few months for failing swimming quals. When we left that phase he was set back again. We all thought that was his way to get discharged. I think the instructors were onto him and we're just making his life miserable for as long as they could. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. ASMO - ASSIGNMENT MEMORANDUM ORDER. WAS A CONSTANT THREAT. GLAKES EARLY WINTER 1976. FTG1 MIKUS

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Lakes RTC Company 227 28Jun72-11Aug72 CC ET1 (SS) Larry Beard. Started me on the right path that I’m still steering down 47 years later. Thanx for the memories, Dennis. As they often say “ Those that know, know, and those that don’t probably never will “. I have seen the belly of the Beast, the world is a Evil place :o(

    ReplyDelete