Thursday, June 30, 2011

“Troubleshoot’n Twidgets”

In this ol’ boy’s Navy life I’d learned that a Crackerjack’s work is never done. The ol' Canoe Club has been as much a working force as a playground for a bunch of ol’ swaggering, rum swilling swabbies. Ships need a lot of upkeep from the stress of the open seas and all that rustification the salt air gives to all that iron and steel! Each sailor has a job to do and equipment of their own to maintain.

In my years my specialization has been in the repair, operation and maintenance of weapon systems onboard Big Hulky Grey Ships! Yep, I’ve been a Firecontrolman all me bloom’n life! me mudder was a mermaid & me fadder King Neptune himself... wait a minute, that's another story... so I digress!! Soooo as I was saying... I’ve seen weapons go through a variety of phases from the ol’ salty mechanical whizbangs to the analog synchro & servo umpty squats to the digital binary two step!

My experience right out of FC ‘A’ school took me straight to the fleet work’n with systems right out of the WW II and Korean War eras, complete with vacuum tubes and limited logistics or maintenance support.

The MK 68 was my first system of choice, and it wasn’t my choice I might ad, that’s just the hand I was dealt back in those days. The Mk 68 provided surface combatants with a weapon system effective against air & surface targets including targets ashore. The Mk 68 came fitted with luxury items such as a manned topside director with tracking radar and analog computer that solved all sorts of target acquisition & ballistics equations! It came with its own gyration unit too…we called the stable mable.

Yes, it took me a long time before I figured out how to troubleshoot this machine on my own. There was the time in gun plot I was given the duty to maintain the ‘stable mable.’ There was a maintenance check where the gyro was secured and the gimbals zeroed out while we stuck plastic wedges between the gimbals to hold’m in place! Well, throughout the life of this ol’ crusty ship those plastic wedges found their way to the plastic wedgy heaven & disappeared somewhere off the face of this gaudamn planet… maybe they were used in some Lunar Space exploration… who the hell knows? So in our infinite wisdom we devised a plan to use sections of newspaper in place of them plastic doo hickeys! To my dismay one of them pieces fell down into the gyro & I decided to reach down & ... ZZWAAAAPP!!!

I got knocked across gun plot on my ass all the way from center line to the starboard bulkhead... Thanks to the metal TV cabinet bracing my fall. I came outta that situation with a sore ass and some hurt pride. But hey, I lived to tell the tale as several of the guys got a real kick out of it.

Then came the time I was doing preventive maintenance on some ol’ vacuum tubes when I came to the realization one of them ol’ tubes was gutted out like a deer during hunt’n season! I showed Chief this discrepancy and we ordered a hole new tube to fix the problem. To our dismay the whole gaudamn system went haywire when we put the tube into place… so much for that… system worked fine with the gutted tube and so we left it in place for a fine tuned weapon system with gutted out parts… who knew we could knock out a target drone from 4000 yds away before CIWS got a chance to shoot the ol’ bird down!!

So then I moved up into the digital age and went to school to learn how to operate and maintain the MK 15 Phalanx Close-In Weapons System (CIWS - pronounced "sea-whiz"). That’s the R2D2 look’n whizbang with the 20MM hard-on that makes that ‘Bbbbrrrrrrpp’ sound when it shoots. Love those things…just don’t stand too close when it’s firing off rounds!!

Now some people will tell ya CIWS stands for ‘Captain it won’t shoot!’ But that’s pussification for all them fellers out there who don’t have a lick of sense and forgot the meaning of ‘Attention to Detail!! CIWS is supposed to be the last-ditch effort to save our asses in an all out assault from enemy fire! It was funny how we’d cannibalize one mount to make sure the one closest to the bridge always fired like a purrr’n kitten! Ya gotta keep the Skipper happy when exercising Pacfires!!

So there were a few things I learned along the way as a CIWS techy!!

Always approach CIWS in a confident manner and show it who’s boss!! CIWS Mounts are like dogs… they can always smell fear!!

Always act like you know what the hell your doing! Never let CIWS know you’re baffled or it’ll get the best of ya!

Wave the troubleshoot’n manual at the CIWS anytime it’s acting up!! Actually any gaudamn technical manual will do as it has the effect of invoking friendly spirits to ward off evil and convince the gaudamn machine to do your bidding for you!!

In the twidget world we have this thing called PFM!! If your not a twidget… ‘Pure Fucking Magic’ is the word of the day!! Just recite Ohm’s Law to the CIWS Mount like the lords prayer and if it doesn’t work try reciting backwords…it sure the hell won’t hurt!!!

If all else fails… try kick’n the son-of-a-bitch a few times, or pull the unit out causing the problem and drop it on the deck from a few feet in the air. This often completely fixes the fault. They say,

“Scientists are divided over whether the shock knocks something back into place or just frightens the whizbang unit.”

If that don’t work then your gonna have to make pals with the ‘Supply Department’ as you’ll probably be replacing said unit and/or parts!!!

Nowadays troubleshoot’n is all done on some gaudamn super secret internet thingy mcjobber called the sailor to engineer crappitty poop snark someth’n er rather!! That’s provided the sons-a-bitches are even awake at 0100 hours in the morning eastern time when your calling from somewhere in the Indian Ocean! How the hell can ya ever learn how to troubleshoot like that? Back in my day it was ‘trial by fire,’ 440VAC shock absorbtion to wake your ass up with a lil’ bit of Easter Egg hunt’n!! I think that’s what we use to call it…but I guess you can’t really hunt down a bunch of 1s’ & 0s’….1000101!!!! (everyone’s favorite binary code)!!! Everything that use to be done electromechanically is managed inside a little carbon based silicone unit the size of your gaudamn fingernail!!

I guess ‘Big Navy’ assumed them Shore Duty fellas just weren’t all that bright. A couple of retired bastards figured out the system and got all the tech rep’ positions to take over for the Intermediate Shore Facilities (IMA) and get paid a little extra to do the job for ‘em! I guess when I retire I could get paid handsomely to troubleshoot technicalities to bite size bits for the novice! Ah hell, that’d mean I’d have to retire next to some gaudamn Navy base…..not sure I really wanna do that!!

I guess they don’t make too many Dick Tracy types in the Navy these days when it comes to troubleshoot’n… then again most of young’ns now would look up at ya and ask…

“Dick Who???”




13 comments:

  1. There are so many times in Civvieland that this has happened to me that I can't count 'em all!

    The "Techs" from the preceding shift would tell me, "I can't figure the problem out... I swapped out X,Y, and Z and it still won't work!"

    Later, with a set of prints and a meter, I would "dig in" (always from scratch, BTW- RULE#1 is DO NOT follow the previous Tech's troubleshooting notes, lest you be led to also be barkin' up the wrong tree! There are several more stories there!)...

    Before pressing on..Go back and read (and HEED) Rule #1 again- it is THAT important! Trust me!

    Usually, in short order, I would identify and correct the "I spent all day troubleshooting" problem.... and 9 times out of 10 it would be a miswire, a loose wire, a missing wire, a loose relay, a bad relay, a blown fuse, or something like that....

    And 10 times out of 10, the next day when I was asked, "How did you fix it? I changed EVERYTHING!", I would answer back, "Ohm's Law." All I did was...blahblahblah"! In return I would nearly always get a silent, blank stare in return, like either I was a witch or a liar....

    ....And IMO, THAT is the problem with Techs today... most are "part changers" that have COPMLETELY lost whatever REAL troubleshooting skills they may have had, or THOUGHT they had (if they ever REALLY had any), and with that, they lost sight of the basics!

    I have come to learn that even with high-tech equipment, about 90% of ALL troubleshooting problems can be solved with what we learned in BE&E... with a meter. This is of course discounting SOFTWARE issues, which are a different animal altogether.

    The remaining 10% can be broken down to:
    1- overheating and failure of a component
    2- poor engineering design (which almost always overlaps the overheating problem, along with a huge percentage of the other 90%, but I am trying to be kind to the design pukes here (LOL).
    3- 1% is PFM.

    The above three instances are where your "Part changer" counterpart will "fix" the problem... at least for the moment... BUT, let's look at:

    4- If the circuit/board/system was working BEFORE, you need to LOOK and see what the last tech activity was, because in that type of instance, 90+% of the time, your counterpart either caused the failure, or led to it. This may seem to contradict Rule #1, but actually it is using rule #1 to your advantage. Don't trust the troubleshooting notes, but look at what your counterpart was into. Think to yourself, "If I did this, how could it effect that", and often you will have the fix right in front of you!

    This mindset has served me well in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, and it continues to do so. Good Hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I be a Fire Control Tech too.... First a FTG then a FC... A Bar Stool with Seat Belts was the Rating Badge. Mk 68 Analog, Mk 68 Digital Upgrade, Mk 92 Mod 2 and Mk 92 Mod 6. My Troubleshooting is now confined to my Sears CarveWright little desktop CNC machine. It's little Servo Motors Cut and Carve Wood Just fine... Visit the CarveWright Forum.

    Digitalwoodshop
    FCC(SW) Retired

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'A Barstool with Seat Belts'.... Gotta love that one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always gave the FTC's (FC's)crap about thier Mk86, compaired to our "state of the art" UYK-7's. Poking buttons and the "4-in drop" fixed most problems in the early digital age. Later we had an Apple IIe in the shop that out computed both of them.

    DS2

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a MK68 tech and a cheez whiz tech. Probably the biggest wakeup call was the LO in the SPG 53A radar. There's 300 volts on that bad boy with the radar in standby. I got the sheeit shocked out of me and hit the rangefinder in the di-wreck-tor.

    There was also a Master Chief FT (still hardcore, didn't want to be called an FC) whose troubleshooting defied convention. He was all over the place (as opposed to doing the textbook half step method we learned in A school) and somehow he managed to find the problem.

    How many of you remember Al Packer or Joe Long? Or the rivalry between Tom Fox and Ken Lawrence (in the CIWS world)? Or Tom Maddy and Leonard Meeks in Pearl Harbor (the latter used to entertain us with some geetar picking in Gun Plot).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disn't Ken sreal Tom Fox's wife or some sort of something of the like?!?

      Delete
    2. FCCM Joe Long new more about our equipment that the men who designed it. One hell of a men. RIP

      Delete
  6. Continuing with my previous (about the LO)....
    I went to SPG53F school in 1976 which had T squared L (TTL) logic and a digital ranger. Got to my first ship and it was a 53A with vacuum tubes and a mechanical ranger. It also had that RSPE (which replaced by the VP in the 1980s) - and I ended up becoming the resident RSPE expert (even at MOTU between 1987-1990 and I spent a week onboard a couple of the Garcia Class FFs teaching the FCs how to troubleshoot). When I got aboard the Sample (FF1048) after leaving the Eddy in 81, I managed to get their RSPE tracking aircraft.

    Back in the day, we virtually never called MOTU for tech assist and any Chief (or even 2nd class) thought it an embarrassment. There was a networks among the Chiefs in Pearl Harbor where they often would send their shithot FTG2 out to other ships in the harbor to aid in troubleshooting. We used real meters (aka Simpson 260) and a good ole scope to do our thing.

    Fast forward to 1987 - remember having to show a govt engineer what an AND gate was during the 10 week CIWS 400 hour Industrial Course (we actually had a GMCS attending the class and he did pretty well). I actually used some of the CIWS test equipment (i.e., HP power meter) in troubleshooting the LO on the SPG53F on some of the ships. Also worked under the tutelage of Bobby Miller, Steve Johnson and Ken Lawrence just after getting out of school.

    Another thing that changed after I came back from shore duty in 1996 was that the zeroes often called NAVSEA or MOTU to verify a bad part (basically a directive) and this didn't matter if the FC1 or FCC was a platform instructor or a former MOTU person. Too much second guessing. My comment to them - "I am an (expletive deleted) electrical engineer" (got a Bachelor's Degree in EE while on shore duty and at C school).

    So here I am a double E now (used to fix em in the Navy and now I design em) with a Master's Degree and I have noticed a big change in the Canoe Club. It is even discouraged for Ship's Force to go into the BIOS on some of the computers (keep in mind that most FCs are pretty much computer geeks and are pretty capable of things like uploading firmware or hacking the code on device drivers) it is preferred to change out a $30,000 computer vs a $3.00 CMOS battery; I remember the goal in the 1990s was self sufficiency and we often 2M-ed $10,000 modules with a $2.00 transistor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started as a FTG but went to BPDSMS school (the expression "morphodite piece of sheeyit" comes to mind) and later to Mk 92 school. Now I do SCADA/telemetry in the water/wastewater industry - can't really blow stuff up any more. I'm finding that it is hard to find people who really know basic troubleshooting. Yes, the "easter egg" technique is alive and well...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would bet that there are more than a few former FTs, FCs, IC men, ETs, EMs, RDs and others out there who have a Simpson 260 prominently displayed at home for all to see. Probably a few real hardcore fans that have a little shrine in the back room for the Simpson, maybe with some burning incense (patchouli?) and a colored light wheel shining on it.;) IC2 1972.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started CIWS C School in 1982 at GLAKES. Brown bagging it (having been recently married) and standing barracks guard in the good old ITB barracks across from FC School. My wife and I had our first baby (a son) w week before I graduated from there; and that little act of humanity put my on "baby hold" for 3 months. Finally left GLAKES after having been in the training pipeline for 23 months (boot/BE&E/A/C) in July '83.

    I arrived at NNSY (Portsmouth, VA) and saw my first ship CGN-37 up on blocks in a dry-dock there. Spent 4 years on her doing two Meds, a few Crib cruises, and a NATO Northern Wedding. Being a nuke means you rarely get to pull into a port; you usually got to ride the liberty boats to and from the ship. Let the South Carolina in August of 87 and went to Instructor school at Norfolk. A bit later I went on the be a platform instructor at Dam Neck (FCTCLANT). Had a terrible time there with politics and spit and polish, etc. Finally left there and made it to CGN-25 just in time for Desert Storm (at the tail end on it, anyway). I kept testing for E-7, but never made it (from '90 - '93). Left the Nav in '93 (almost 25 years ago) and still think that I should have been promoted to Chief. Oh - well.............

    ReplyDelete
  10. A school in 73, glass envelope vacuum tubes, started out that way, learned about transistors and surface mount along the way, but, as always,, basics is where you start

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just curious - what’s a LO?

    I served a FCC who worked magic on the ole MK56 FCS (which until the advent of Phalanx - when combined with twin 3”50 mounts aka Bronstein or McCoy - was The USN’s Best fun based ASCM the Navy had.) He was much in demand because he could fix the system when no else could - even the Coasties called on him for his expertise with their systems onboard cutters.

    He never went anywhere with his ole trusty test equipment - Fluke Muliltimeter, test kits, etc (I majored in Chemistry - so I could almost sorta kinda sometimes understand some of what my guys worked on.) Sometimes he’d show up - read the charts - curse and say they Ordmodded this and shipalted that - then slaughter a sheep and read the entrails. One time I went with him - I asked him to lunch at the O’Club - my treat - he said he’d rather hit the CPO Club - but I could still pay
    (GBG) - he finally did let me in on his secret. Go into the director room - turn the lights out - and if a tube wasn’t glowing - it was bad.

    Speaking of tubes - onboard the Leaky Larry aka The USS Lawrence (DDG-4) -


    We had an ancient Sonar - The SQQ-23 Pair. It had among other antiquities - a massive tube for the power amplifier. Even way back in 1985 - this tube was a monster - weighing in at over 30lbs - it had so much Silver (Ag) in it - it cost over $30,000.00. It was imported from Canada 🇨🇦. Well - one day - it came time to replace this Frankentube. According to the supply documents- we had one onboard as a replacement. But no one could find it. We searched high and low. Finally we had to call NMCIS (it was known then as NIS) - they started interviewing everyone. We had one STG2 on leave - and immediately suspicion fell on him. He was camping out in the Smokies and was out of touch (this was 1985) - so when he returned - he was met with a shitstorm. No problem - he had placed in a padded container - and secured it a filing cabinet so it wouldn’t get losrt, stolen, or damaged. No problem - he took the NIS Agents Right to it. Interestingly enough - even though it came from Canada - it was manufactured in Russia !

    ReplyDelete