Friday, July 22, 2011

"Customer Service???"

So here I am about to retire and I'm still dumbfounded by all the cockamamie brainless ideas the Navy comes up with in the event of change. I've got lots of silly stories about people being stupid in the name of professionalism but I swear I'd get better customer service from a bunch a gaudamn high school stoners in a Jack in the Box Drive thru than at Navy PSD!

Someday, some enlightened M.I.T. graduate will figure out how to modernize our Naval Institution without paying civilians to do in a week what a gaudamn seaman can do in fifteen minutes. With so many of them sons-a-bitches roaming our hallways the white hat will soon become extinct and end up transferred to the big lucky bag in the sky.

The Navy I knew is slowly being removed and replaced with ridiculous ideas that have no sense of tradition or reason... even if it is to save a few bucks. How the hell can you justify saving money to contract millions of dead presidents out to civilians when we've got the know how to do it ourselves!!!

Kids today must look at their rating badges and wonder why the damn thing doesn't say civilian subservient! Same Navy, same location, but like everything else in the government, the idiot bastards filled it full of bureaucracy for some dumb reason known only to God and some rich retired fat ass admiral with a made up billet so he can sit around gett'n his coffee cup filled by an E-3 yeoman!!

It's depressing, boys and girls… No, it's worse than that. It's the legacy we are leaving future generations. They will never know the pride we had in what once was.

I'd already seen the senseless debauchery at work while on shore duty with all the gaudamn Base Realignment and Closures (BRAC)!! With the transfer of authority from one hand to the other our facility was placed under the control of someone three states away with no gaudamn concern for our welfare. All our support was pulled from the local base in the name of the all mighty dollar!! That retired Admiral sitt'n on his ass drinking coffee & bullshitt'n about noth'n use to audit our records once a month. But now he doesn't have to because we don't fall under his cognizance... I mean what gaudamn difference does it make? We're all gett'n paid by big Navy anyway...so what sense does it make to fly someone up from San Dog to audit our records once a month...Do you follow what I'm say'n???

So three weeks ago I tried call'n five different numbers to set up a simple appointment to finish my paperwork for retirement!! Not asking a lot in the large scale of things you wouldn't think! But I couldn't get the answers I was look'n for over the phone so I walked my happy ass over yonder to accomplish a littany of deeds prior to hang'n my hat!!! Wouldn't it figure the most junior E-1 straight outta bootcamp is at the front desk running things! Not a gaudamn Chief in sight! Maybe anchor to anchor I might have gotten some real service... To every question I threw at her she had to take a trip to the back of the office to ask someone else. Finally I got an appointment for 1330 on a Thursday the following week.

Well I shit you not...the following week I show up at 1245 and they don't have me scheduled for an appointment. The young man at the front desk walks me back to talk to some gaudamn civilian who gave me the airman salute and told me I'd have to call Petty Officer "Who Gives A Shit" in the morning to reschedule! No apologies, explanations, not even a reasonable excuse... just a proverbial screw you and try again later kinda thing!!

So I call Petty Officer "Who Gives A Shit" at 0800 the next morning and he gives me a laundry list of things to bring with an appointment date a week out in advance, so I thought to myself,

"I'd better not show up with another proverbial screw you or I'll be stick'n my foot up someone's proverbial ass!!"

So the day comes and I show up with a stack of papers in hand accompanied with my medical & dental records ready to rock-n-roll!! Petty Officer "Who Gives A Shit" verifies my paperwork and says,

"Chief, We'll schedule you for another appointment at 1300 on Thursday, three days from now."

...like he's doing me a gaudamn favor!!! So I ask him,

"What the hell was this appointment?? An appointment to make an appointment???"

He told me he guess's so if I want to look at it that way!! I mean does anyone besides me see a gaudamn problem with this? 22 Years in this gaudamn canoe club and this is the service I get??

Another fella I work with went to PSD to get his kiddos signed up for the New "911 GI Bill"... They tell his sorry ass he had to re-enlist for two years to be eligible. So he does what he's told. Then they tell him,
"Oh, you have to extend for six more months in order to qualify!"

That's two years and six months now, so he does what he's told!!! Then they tell him,

"Oh we're sorry, but your rate is overmanned so you have to get a waiver to extend!"

He's got two weeks to do this before his extension will be no good! So our Senior Enlisted Advisor had to call some "Great Master Chief in the Sky" up at personnel headquarters in Millington, Tennessee to get the job done!! Talk about jump'n through hoops!!! So this fella goes into PSD with all his paperwork in a row jump'n through every hoop they've put out and PN1 says,

"I can't grant your extension or the waiver because BUPERSINSTRUCTION umpty squat says something or rather about you not being able to do that."

Really??? I mean "WTF" Over' !!!

Finally some civilian "from somewhere in the back" told PN1 to enter his waiver into his record because that's what it's for!!! So PN1 reluctantly sat down smashing his fingers into the keyboard obviously pissed off because he had to do his gaudamn job!!! Is this a sign of what our young sailors are looking forward too?

US Navy Manual for Customer Service NavedTra 14056 states:

no matter how simple or unimportant you consider a request, the customer depends upon you to provide a service. Answering a question or looking up information may require a little effort on your part, but the extra effort is a mark of good service. As stated earlier in this manual, customers usually have only one place they can go for a particular service.

But that's not what I'm seeing!

Another fella told me the first person on the base he talked to was a civilian at PSD. He sat down at his desk and was handed a pile of papers & pen and pointed to a table across the room to sit and fill it out. Not a "Hello" or "Welcome Aboard", just a stack of papers & pen, and a finger extended across the room. While he filled out the papers he came across a voluntary extension of service. He didn't fill this out but put it aside while he finished the others. Upon turning in the paperwork the civilian thumbed through the papers and noticed he didn't sign the extension papers.

He put the voluntary extension in front of the sailor and told him he needed to fill it out. Those were the first words that he spoke. The sailor refused. The civilian said he couldn't refuse because he had accepted orders that required a 24 month commitment. The sailor said he wouldn't do it. He said it was a voluntary extension and that if he had to fill it out, it was "INVOLUNTARY."

Next, the civilian threatened to send the sailor back to his previous command. He told the civilian to go ahead and do that if he wanted to. Of course, he had been one the last people to leave his last boat after it was decommissioned. In the end, the sailor was assigned to his appointed place of duty and the civilian lost out. Needless to say the sailor decided to reenlist a year later...it was all based on principle!

US Navy Manual for Customer Service NavedTra 14056 also states:

“Speaking down” implies that you consider the customer to be less than your equal. That attitude may make the customer feel that the service you provide is less than your best.

So I ask..."Why can't we follow our own Gaudamn Rules in customer service?? I suppose we as the customer are there to serve them!!!

9 comments:

  1. Wrote this one about a year and six seven months ago... from the looks of the new and improved Fleetwide/Perform to Serve program I'd say things are gett'n even worse... Pretty soon you'll have to be cattle prodded and give away your first born just to get a guadamned lottery number for any good service....

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is the reason I got out in 2004. Saw ALL the writing on the wall. Certainly isn't the same navy I was in 8 years ago. NOT EVEN CLOSE to the Navy my dad was in. And We look like the reserve chair force compared to the Navy my grandpa served in.

    I've often and fondly referred to it as the "Pussification of the military". As a Military we have few duties. 1)Defend the country & Constitution 2) Kill any MFer who tries to impose on rule one.

    But I guess now that ROE means "Wait for them to hit the big red button before you fire a warning shot. If your crew is still alive after the blast, SHOOT THE SUICIDE BOMBERS' SPRAY. Yeah makes SOOOOO much sense to me.

    So glad I'm not in anymore. When I went to the USS Cleveland Decom Ceremony, the crew members didn't know half the spaces I Was talking about. I asked "Wheres Anchor Windlass? and the BM3 there that only had a mcdonalds ribbon said "Sir I'm not sure where you're talking about."

    GAH!!!! Thanks Dennis for getting me fired up LOL. I'm gunna go drink to the foam now and call TAPS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All started with Clinton...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I said it before, and it applies just as much in the 'ol Canoe Club just as much as it applies in Civvie life... the sudden large influx of MBA's that think they are smarter than everybody else has taken its toll... they live inside a spreadsheet and have lost touch with society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my own run-in at PSD when I was being processed for my EAOS Honorable discharge- I was an FC1, 8 years in, CPO Selectee, and I am sorry to say that my run-in was with a CPO... I had a disagreement with the Civilian PSD clerk about receiving advance travel pay and asked that she pull out the regs (which I happened to have already read)... she disappears for a while, then brings me around the counter to talk to this smug lookin' CPO who has the BuPers manual sitting right in front of him, hands crossed over the book... he starts off with, "what's your problem?", and I thought, "oh, here we go..." - I told him that the reg was right in front of him and I would like for us to review it together, and I got the "I"M A CHIEF PETTY OFFICER IN THE UNTIED STATES NAVY AND YOU ARE QUESTIONING ME?" exactly the response that I was expecting... The "discussion" became even more heated when I told him that I had every right in the world to read that reg and not take his word for anything...then it REALLY got downright ugly, and I thought the clerk was going to toss her cookies with the look she gave me... I knew that I was walking a fine line toward insubordination, and was very careful not to cross it... when I FINALLY got him to open the book and go to the reg regarding advance travel pay and read through it with me, his tone did a swift 180 degree turn and he became about as apologetic as I have ever seen a Chief become... Of course he was not about to admit that he was wrong about something (after all, he WAS a CPO!), but he grudgingly admitted that I was correct, and the check was cut immediately. We parted on good terms, and he even shook my hand and wished me luck..... On my way out the door, I passed a young Ensign and gave him a proper Military salute... he stopped me and immediately my mind is thinking, "jeeziz, what now?", but instead he handed me a silver dollar....but that's another story!

    Former FC1 Victor Albright, USN 1978-1986

    ReplyDelete
  6. The navy is full of dicks and incompetents. It ALWAYS has been. You're just realizing now is all, Grandpa Simpson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference being now they're wearing civilian clothes...

      Delete
  7. This is the reason I got out in '02. My MC said I was full of shit when I told him the whole thing was getting to political. Guess I showed him.

    ReplyDelete