Sunday, July 10, 2011

"Hijinx In Olongapo"


When I was a young cracker jack overseas I'd done some pretty stupid crap and got involved in some pretty silly hijinx! Some of the sorts that happened in the streets of Olongapo in the PI. The place is a shrine to the lowest spectrum of Navy life in the past fifty years. It was an 'Adult Disney Land' to every single guy in search of amusement and gratification. When the sun went down, all the crackerjacks showed up to quench their thirst and court the female of the species... usually barmaids for longtime barfine of 250 peso or about $22.00 at the time.

Magsaysay Boulevard was aligned with special places called The Florida Club, Sierra Club, and Top Gun serving lukewarm San Migoo, Red Horse, Mojo, Bullfrog and some nasty cross between beer and monkey urine! Well worn barmaids and heavy wooden tables with the names of five thousand ships and their hull numbers whittled in the tops. Ceiling fans and flower pots were suspended from the overhead. Probably a lot of you remember these places! After all, SOMEBODY had to have carved the names and numbers of every Navy ship in those tabletops.

Up on stage, ladies in T-shirts and white cotton panties marketed true love, undying affection and intimate personal relations to be your honey-ko pucky, sucky long time no shit! Some of them poor bastards ended up taking these ladies home with a marriage certificate and a plane ticket for the whole damn family!

One night while in a drunken stupor I had my fill of liquor and could barely hold myself up, but I managed to make it to the ramparts of the Shit River bridge when this Filipino approached me in very good broken English I might ad and said,

“I know you prom on de chip!” Are you going back so soon? I got pamily here. You like to meet dem?"

Well we had many a Filipino onboard and quite a few new faces had shown up recently so I figured he must be one of our new shipmates! So I start walking my drunk ass with him down Magsaysay when we veer off into a side road and down a few blocks. He’s telling me about his family and how he can get me things for cheap, cheap here, no worries. Then he sits me down in front of this house and asks me if I want a beer and I said sure. While he went in to get me a beer this ol’ lady takes my hand and puts it in a warm cup of soapy water. Not thinking anything of it, I thought maybe it was cultural or something, I look around and there are quite a few Filipinos standing around looking at me funny. My shipmate comes out and hands me my beer then he says,

“You pay her now! You pay her it not por pree!”

“What are you talking about man?”

“You pay her or I kick your ass!”

By this time I looked around and noticed that I was surrounded by about ten or twelve Filipinos and my ass sobered up real quick! I thought to myself,

“Oh Shit, I’m about to get my ass PUMMELED!!!”

So I reached in my pocket and pulled out a few pesos and some centavos. I threw them all up in the air as every one of those bastards looked up. Just as this happened I charged right through the weakest hole I could find between them and kept running my ass as fast as I could til’ I got to Magsaysay! There I saw some Shore Patrol and explained what had happened. They basically told me to go back to the ship and consider ass lucky I didn’t get it kicked!

Then there was the time I had a honey-ko from the Top Gun and spent the night in her little hut with the corrugated roof. After a long night and being awaken by the crowing of a gaudamn rooster, I realized my scrawny American ass had better get back on base and to the ship.

As my Honey-ko walked me out to the street she flagged down a Tuk Tuk (motorbike taxi)! Now Tuk Tuks are small and crafty and can weave in and out of traffic when your in a gaudamn rush! They're a little scary weaving, bobbing, and spitting along the way dodging pot holes and ditches but they're pretty dog gone essential when your in a hurry not to miss Quarters in the morning. Before I got onboard this little wippity split motorbike, she insisted we agree on a price before I got onboard. This was suppose to keep me from getting ripped off. She spoke to him in Tagalog and then told me it would be 50 peso for the ride back to the base over shit river.

So off we went and to compound matters we hit traffic, and the driver didn’t ease the throttle not even a bit. I think he was using some sort of Zen technique to guide him through the traffic or maybe he was a Luke Skywalker fan and was “using the force”. Anyway using powers that would put most Nascar drivers to shame, he steered us through grid locked traffic, while lighting a cigarette and showing me some promotional literature for 'pucky, sucky long time no shit!' Just as we were about a block away from shit river dividing the base from the town, the motorcycle burps, farts and bounces to a halt.

"What is this? This isn't the base?"

"You owe me 50 dollar!"

"What? You said 50 peso!"

"No! I want 50 dolla! Now or I get Police!"

"The hell with you then, I'll get one myself!"

From there I flagged down one of the gaudamn local coppers and just as he approached me the tuk tuk drove off. He new I called his bluff, and lucky for me the Police weren't as crooked as Tijuana Coppers down in Mexico. But that's another story!

So once again I got away with another Hijinx and a story to go in the long tale of Sea Stories to share with all. And of course when I got back to the ship five minutes late to Quarters,

"Holy jumpin' jeezus, You'll never guess happen to me last night!"

Those days were some of the best of my life… Why?
The ugly bastards I spent them with, were my shipmates.



21 comments:

  1. everhartt@zoominternet.netJuly 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM

    I remember these same stories,drinking orange soda on the return to the gate. The smells of the sampigita when entering port. Oh how I wish I could go back to that wonderful place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That place is gone,Bro.The base is long gone,as are the bars of magsaysay drive.Still a few in Subic City though.I was there 2 years ago,and will probably go back next year,with my filipina wife.

      Delete
  2. I married my Filipina girl friend 43 years. Most of my Navy buddies are on second or third marriages. I was the lucky one all you have are memories of the one that got away.................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Married my Filipina sweetheart over 40 years ago. Our grand children bring us lots of job. I owe any success I've had in life to her. No one could have a heart more true or faithful.

      Delete
  3. Hey Anonymous,
    Many times I heard the stories of the ones who disappeared as soon as their feet hit American soil. I also know of many who like you, the lady stayed and they are now enjoying a herd of nicely tanned grand kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your article reminds me of what it was like to be stationed both in upcountry Thailand and, down in Bangkok, as the story is very similar. I married what I believed to be a "nice Thai girl" that came from a self-respecting family (very wealthy). She was the Assistant JAG Officer at Don Muang RTAFB. Everything went pretty well with our marriage after we went back to the U.S. However, after I got an assignment to Seoul (Yongsan Army Installation), that's when my best friend from my former base, moved into my home and, she started playing around. To make a long story short, we got divorced and the only "thing" that I lost in the marriage was my son (who coincidentally she didn't need when he turned 18 and, since I had been paying child support all these years and, was happily remarried again to a S. Korean RN Surgical Nurse and, retired from the Air Force with our own daughter, we agreed to pay for his college education, which he was totally surprised to hear. He graduated with two degrees and is now the proud owner of his own Real Estate Company in San Diego and Married to a Veterinarian and living a much better life. He was even my "Best Man" at my next wedding, as I lost my S. Korean Bride to Stage 4 Ovarian Cancer in 2006. My son and I have always had a terrific relationship and, I always wished that I could have been there with him physically while he grew up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to hear you lost you wife! Damn...I lost my wife who I met in the Navy. She was anative Alaskan who I love with all my soul up to this day, after she died 6 years ago. Cancer needs to go! May God bless you my friend! At least we have such sweet memories!! and children!

      Delete
  5. lol I once decided to try heating a peso up and slipping it in the floor show girls stack. all hell broke loose and I was the target of any beer bottle she got her hands on. I beat feet back o cubi where I was stationed, didn't go out in town for a week

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a couple of sea stories...One of fighting a bar full of Brits while on liberty in Singapore and coming out a winner...another was going on the roof tops in Hong Kong when told they were off limits...had a great time on them with some honies, another timeI was selected to return early from the cruise on the "Red Carpet". Well being the "liberty hog" I was back then. I decided to hit the town the night before leaving on the Red Carpet flight the next morning. Well after going to this honey's hut for an overnighter..she slipped me a mickey to keep me from leaving the next morning...I woke up in time to catch a jeepnet and headed for the base to the ship...the guys in my division brought my bags (which I packed the night before luckly) to the pier...no time to get chew out...just get your ass to the air terminal to get on the plane. Again luckly the flight was delayed taking off for some reason and I manage to board it... ;-)
    So shipmates, that is a few of my stories and I'm sure there are other's out there with better stories...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did my share of "Rota-rooting" around Rota, Spain, but the charms of thew PI and I never crossed paths, beyond landing the Freedom Bir there to refuel before flying on the Hawaii laving "The 'Nam".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lived the PI life as a "station dito" for four of the best years in my young life 1985-89...the stories I could tell, could only be believed by thise that were there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any stories of John Bull Pyareus Greece? Group on liberty were picked up by widows in black , all ages , taken to a bar kanoodled in the back booths until dawn. They bought the drinks. A good night. 1971

    ReplyDelete
  10. SPENT 2 YRS THERE IN SERVICE CRAFT, HAD A BALL,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Station Dito at Mt Santa Rita and Sterett 79-83! It's all true and then some! Celebrating 38 years with my Filipina this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Station Dito also 81-83 USS Sterett.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was there in 72-75 Had shipmates who had family there we always went together in town to drink safe way to do it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maaaaaaan I feel ya on that. I had a dude try to pick pocket me. But I swear I loved those days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I could remember the time I spent in P.I Thailand and hong kong.iv got all kinda pictures.dont even remember who took the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I passed through Olongopo on my way to Clark hospital for treatment. I had had an accident on the flight deck of my carrier. After three months in hospital carrier came back, I boarded, sailed to Pearl where my wife was waiting. Then after a few days sailed to Hunter's Pt where I was discharged to the reserves. I was married during my short stay in the PI and totally behaved myself.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was stationed out of Yokosuka Naval base in Japan from Jan. '79 - Sept. '82 and visited PI MANY times...had a great time over there and sometimes have dreams of those times....wish I could go back and relive them all over again and I wish I had stayed overseas considering the shit hole the US is now becoming....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spent a lot of time in Olongapo, but never found “the one”. I met my wife in Singapore. We spent two years taking turns flying halfway around the world to see each other before we finally got married. She was studying law at the university of London when we met, but happened to be home when my ship pulled into Singapore. We’re about to celebrate 28 adventurous years together! We have to awesome daughters and a beautiful granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete