Sunday, July 3, 2011

" Ol' Webster Street Alameda "

Some of you ol' coots out there probably know who Dave Benzel is... an ol' foul mouthed proud as hell "cracker jack" sailor with the rightful tongue to speak the ol' forgotten language of good time sailor talk. Just the other day he was reminiscing to me about some of his favorite memories on ol' Webster Street in Alameda, California...

I keep no secrets from my wife. She knows I frequented the bars along Webster Street back in the early 90s' as long as I wasn't being a whore about it. Although she still insists some seventeen years later that something was going on while I was out there. This place was a throwback to the days of ole, littered with Chinese Diners & Dry Cleaners, Bars that sold cheap booze and tattoo parlors on every corner. It was full of fascinating visions where barmaids would fetch up drinks for drunken sailors while they adored all the local wenches.

You could find all types in this place. It had its own smell, taste and character. It was a place where inebriated sailors could enjoy themselves drowning in cheap liquor bottles while destroying karaoke songs full of laughter. On many occasions one of the local wenches would jump up on a table and perform a naughty little number of a strip tease for the clientele's enjoyment. Showing no inhibitions, they might shimmy their skirt up to show some G' string or pull there blouse down just enough to reveal their unclasped bra and a bit of nipple if your were watching close enough. It was funny how the bouncers always took their time rushing the little ladies off the table. I guess as long as it wasn't causing a raucous then everything panned out fairly well.

This was also a place where a sailor could spend all gaudamn night playing pool. Occasionally there would be a few hustlers watching as the sailors got all tanked up. Then they'd get squared up. Besides, Webster Street had always been known for parting sailors from their money. The pub owners sell alcohol at steep prices, the cabbies charge outlandish fees on and off base, and the hookers find ingenious ways to access a sailor’s bank account without actually having sex with them, suckers!

Even on base there was plenty of atmosphere to find trouble. One night I was at the Enlisted Club with a couple of the fellas when we got in an argument with some other patrons in the establishment. The bouncers were being pricks and kicked us all out over a few gaudamn verbal exchanges and it didn't seem all that fair in our drunken state.

One of the fellas recognized a Toyota truck on the side of the road and said it belonged to one of the bouncers that kicked us out. We managed to hop on the back end of the son-of-a-bitches bumper until we bounced the rear end of his truck all the way out into the center of the gaudamn road. Just as we got the damn truck into the road, shore patrol came running after us out towards the air field.

We managed to duck behind some maintenance gear and they never caught up to us. We did a lot of ducking and dodging trying to get back to the ship undetected from these son-of-a-bitches. Somehow we made it to the pier without getting caught. When I got back to the ship I was pretty lit and knew there was a good chance I might get sick from so much alcohol...

The next morning I woke up and realized I had that horrible taste in my mouth! But there was no mess on my rack and I had no recollection of getting up to use the head. When I was getting ready to put on my boondockers, I realized I had filled them up to the rim with last night's menu combined with some cheap booze... It was a good thing I had an extra pair. I ended up tossing the son-of-a-bitches over the side. I figured Davy Jones might need a pair of boots in the ol’ Skaloosh Locker.

Then there was the time at a local club at the water’s edge in Alameda called Denim and Diamonds. It was a country joint where they did a lot of this new thing called line dancing. All of the sudden it was this popular thing. It was like the electric slide on steroids. I never could get into it. I don’t mind getting out there and shaking my ass but it seemed too structured for me. Like I said it was like the electric slide on steroids and I was never fond of that one either.

And wouldn’t you know it? I got in another fight over my buddy Shawn’s purple pants at the Denim and Diamonds. Some dumb redneck son-of-a-bitch called him a sissy faggot and we got to pushing and shoving and the next thing we knew the bouncers were pulling us apart. Ironic as it may be the fella I got tangled up with happened to be some gaudamn airdale off the ship. After running into him a few times we ended up becoming friends over the course of a few months. I guess that is what being a shipmate is all about. We can beat the hell out of each other one day then turn around and have a beer and laugh about it the next.

Nowadays the ol' base on Alameda is pretty much a ghost town you can drive through as you please. The ol' buildings are deserted and rust'n out on the base. And it's hard to find any evidence of the ol' Webster Street as there aren't any signs of the Bohemian night life with hookers, barmaids, drunken sailors and knaves of the like roaming the gaudamn streets at night. It had been cleaned up and lined with new businesses over the past decade try'n to remake an area shed of its rough image. Full of high end restaurants and new downtown Main Street appeal it's nothing like it was back in the day.

But somewhere out there, somewhere on this earth, there has to be a an ol' head stall door panel weathered in piss stain with some barmaid's name whittled on it… Right beside, "For a good time call Jenny - 867-5309" written in ballpoint…The only remaining evidence of an old worn out, long ago "crackerjack" drunken sailor memory!!!




44 comments:

  1. Back in the late 80's while on the Sac, me and few shipmates got picked up out there and spent the night in the Oakland drunk tank. For some reason, even though I was late for muster the next day by about an hour I never got in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could almost delete Webster Street, and insert Kings Cross for the way things were so similar back in Oz the early 70's. Progress and rebuilding, political correctness and contempt for the sailors cash in preference for more prestigious clients has seen that once great run turn totally against the sailor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my average nights was getting drunk at Johnny B. Goodes and having pizza, there was a fancier bar about a block down, a good steak and egg breakfast near a motel by the corner, an irish pub down a few blocks where I would play pool a lot, a bar and grill across the street, got so drunk one night I ended up sleeping at the bus bench and missed muster, come to think of it I didn't get in as much trouble as I thought I would. And the ole enlisted club, yep good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was stationed at NAS Alameda 1985 & I remember going to Johnny B. Goode's a couple of time. What an awful place.

      Delete
  4. Spent a lot of time in Alameda. Lived down on Shoreline drive across from the beach with a view of San Francisco looking out across the bay.
    My buddy at work (we were stationed at FMAG) worked at the little club after work as a bar tender, so I would get free beer until I couldn't see straight.
    Webster street had calmed when I was there in the mid 70s, and I then I was back there again in the late 80s on a Cruiser just before I retired.
    Hard to imagine all those bases being closed up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If those fancy restaurants include a cheap sushi place at least the smells and tastes of the past still linger there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was on a Long Beach ship in the 70's that visited Alameda from time to time. The CPO club was full of Westpac widows. Fine pickin's no need to go any further.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of great memories I was stationed at VR-30 NAS Alameda for two years 1974-75

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a bouncer at Johnny B Goode's in Late 87-88 while on shore duty at SIMA Treasure Island. As I look back on it now some 30 years later, I can saw without hesitation, that.............being the front door man is a good gig boys. Webster street in Alameda and those 3 years on shore duty, were the most memorable in my life. There isn't anything I wouldn't give to get back any one day of it now........Regards: Carp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent many drunk nights there at the same time you bounced there

      Delete
    2. Wallys corner...La Fiesta...my future Wife's blind date was late and Annie the bartender introduced us...30 years last month...yeah...I'm bragging...

      Delete
    3. Would you remember the Bouncer from the Shamrock in the 80’s?

      Delete
  9. Use to hang out sometime in the Fireside bar in Alameda back in 64 for a couple of month. Brought a SN to the EM Club on base in NAS Alameda, and was thrown out because he was not 21 years of age and that being the first EM club I remember that a person had to be 21 to enter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I was station on the USS Carl Vinso CVN-70 from 1983-1988 and from 1992-1995 then home port change from Alameda to Bremerton real good times on base and Webster St my hangouts was Johnny and the Dragon Palace and some of the smaller bars oh and Crolls pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stationed on the Carl Vinson as well 83-86. Hung out at the DP, Johnny B. Goods and Irish pub. Good times on Webster for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, my name is Sue Paggi I was waitress in 1987-88 back then I sure miss the good times when all the sailor from USS CARVISON.my husband was on that ship meet him in Alameda Johnny be good bar. but pass away 8 yrs ago. I just wanna say thank you.Jim the Bar owner then.Go good times 1987-88.MISS YOU ALL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember the bouncer, Michael? He worked there in the 80’s. I’m looking for him, but for the life of me as unsure of his last name.

      Delete
  13. I loved (and lived) every single moment of this! Started when I was in high school (in San Leandro late 80s) and met these 3 sailors from the US Enterprise and lasted well into my 20s when I would pick up sailors at Denim and Diamonds with my best friend, Robyn. Spent my 22nd or 23rd bday at that Webster St bar with a bf from the Abe Lincoln. And distinctly remember an Asian restaurant of some sort called Hawk Lung cuz I remember thinking how gross that sounded lol. Thanks for the good time strolling down memory lane. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can’t believe I didn’t post first comment. 1984-85? Headwaitress Jeanne here, Bonnie was bartender
      We loved you guys, we did charity drive and a guy gave me $100 for kisses all night, we auctioned our garters. I still have lavender mini dress Enterprise sailor crocheted me. I used to dance with a lot of you
      Still have a few letters from sixpac
      We would read your letters and shared perfume. Still remember either CV or Enterprise left a sailor behind in Dumpster one goodbye night, missed the ship lol
      I think Johnnys was most fun bar I ever worked.

      Delete
    2. Are we allowed to share pic?

      Delete
    3. Do you remember the Bouncer at the Shamrock named Michael? I’m looking for him. Not 100% sure of the last name though.

      Delete
  14. I used to deliver beer in Alameda back in the late 80's - mid 90's. I loved the bar scene on Webster.....Dragon Palace Disco, Fireside, Exchange bar, crolls, Shamrock, walllys corner, Dales Lunch, Denim and Diamonds. Johnny B Goodes.....not to mention all the places on Base.
    I am glad I came across this.....good memories. I got to go out on the Abraham Lincoln on its first Dependents day cruise.
    Alameda will never be the same without the Navy Base.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhh ... brought back fond memories of my many nights at Dragon Palace, Dale's & the Encinal Bar ... then grubbing out at Tilly's ...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Was attached to MSC, but lived on NAS Alameda. Webster was the place to be after work. Each bar had it's own identity. Started dating/living with the daughter of the owner of The Fireside in 1988. Wonder what became of her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was a bartender at both the Exchange and The Shamrock 1994-1995. They were both owned by the same 2 Irish Gentlemen. We were paid $40 a, 8 and a half hour shift plus tips. No breaks except what you could manage behind the bar since you were the only employee on shift. One bartender and no bar back for a place full of sailors. It wasn't difficult though because the sailors policed each other and helped us out with stock before last call. I still have letters and postcards from sailors on WestPac and I am still in touch with one of them today. Some wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember the Bouncer at the Shamrock named Michael? I’m looking for him. Not 100% sure of the last name though.

      Delete
  18. Me and my husband met there as well back in 89. He was base police station in Alemeda! 32 years later with 5 daughters and 8 grandchildren. Thank You Johnny for finding my soulmate!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Reminds me of San Diego in the 60s. Now it's all cleaned up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Spent many nights at Johnny's and the Shamrock. Had my 21st birthday long island at Johnny's for free and spent the rest of the night bar hoping. When I got back to base, I took a joy ride on an officers bike and shore patrol pulled up just as I was replacing it. Stood tall before the XO a week or two later but he dropped it. Crazy 21st B-day on Webster Street with a lot of wild nights to follow. Stationed on the Sammy G, by the way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn’t your buddies give you everclear and we realized we had been serving you underage

      Delete
  21. My best friend and I went to Alameda every weekend. It was from late 86 to 87. Then I moved to Hawaii with the man that I met at St James Infirmary in Mountain View and he gave me my son in 89. My best friend met her husband of over 30 years in Mtn View. Sadly she died of cancer. Those were the best times! We all had fun! Top Gun playing on the wall and the Carl Vinson Supply guys hanging out with us. Thanks for the good memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your service especially since this is Memorial Day

      Delete
  22. I was a cocktail waitress at Dragon Palace in the early 90’s. Those were such fun times. I miss the people, the owners and the great energy that was once there.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Man oh man. I just stumbled across this blog. I was on the USS California when she was home ported at Alameda NAS. 1984 - 1987. Wild times, wild times. Can't tell you how much money I spent buying drinks for West Pac Widows in the Dragon Palace Disco. I used to go bar hopping with Niles who owned the Exchange back in the day. I can't even imagine how me or any of my crew passed the wizz quiz back then. If you wanted it you could find it on Webster St or just a short jump through the tube into Oakland. The Exchange was the bomb. We took care of each other and kept that place fun to be in. I don't ever want to go back, only because I want to remember it as it was. Wild and wonderful.
    So let me close the memory lane post with this. "Here's to you and here's to me. Shipmates forever we will be. But if ever we should disagree, Fuck You! and here's to me"

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was stationed on board the Sammy G in 1985. I remember a lot of fun times at Johnny B. Goode's with my then-future now ex-husband & his buddies. Seems like a lifetime ago.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Turn on with my buddies on my phone to be wife at Johnny be good good times there even had an apartment. There in Alameda for a while Indian laying a vista apartments I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh this is bring back a ton of memories! First off, I lived in Alameda as a child. I then moved out to Pleasanton, where I grew up. Years later, me and m girlfriends would go to Alameda to party, namely the EM Club and Johnny's. We met many sailors from the California, Carl Vinson and Enterprise ships. Sometimes we would bring them out to "our town" or rent a room to party with them. It was always a blast!!! A couple times the sailors got back late, but they never seemed stressed about it.Went there yesterday and man, the memories all came back. All my girlfriends who went, fondly remember those times. Still friend with all of them!!!! Ricky's tattoo is still there. Got some of the first ones there. Nice post to remember things when life was carefree!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I went to a diner once with some older shipmates. They played 50s music which i hated lol. But it did have a cool 50s diner look. Not long after getting to Alameda the Roanoke shipped out for 8 months. After getting back we changed home ports to Long Beach. Spent most of my time if I went out in Frisco or Oakland. What was Johnny B Goods address? Was that the 50s diner I visited. Had like black and white floor tiles and lots of red & chrome

    ReplyDelete
  28. My name is Cheryl. I lived in Alameda from the summer of 84 until the morning of Oct 17th, 1989 when I pulled out of the drive. I missed the big quake by hours. Before I married a Sailor from the Kiska in “86” (now divorced), I used to date the man, Michael, who worked as the Bouncer for the Shamrock. He also filled in every now and again at the Fireside. Lately, I have been thinking of Michael and trying to find him. I am just unsure of what his last name is. If any of you remember him??? He was ex-Navy at the time he worked there. Was a photographer, too. And, the last thing I remember was him getting arrested for starting a fight at the all night diner down the street. Anyone with any information, or if you actually know him, you can email me at ct3sons@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. In the mid 60s there was a bar ,we called it Johnny's. Next door they ran a locker service where we could chage to cities, $5 a month charge .

    ReplyDelete